Thread: The highest qualification?

The highest qualification?

I know qualifications wont necessarily mean you are a skilled hunter, but what is the highest stalking qualification you can achieve in the UK?

Is there a DSC 3 yet?

Seems to be level 2 that is the most recognised, then there are other "bolt on" courses from various providers, should you wish to partake.

I hope there isn't, I've just done level 2.. I aint doing any more

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    If you look at the "official" Deer Stalking Certificates that are run to a nationally recognised standard then there are only level 1 and level 2. Level 1 is a prerequisite for level 2.

Beyond that people can choose other courses such as the "Deer Manager" course that BDS and others run. These are not, strictly speaking, stalking qualifications as they cover a wider variety of topics and there are no prerequisites to taking them. That doesn't stop many stalkers choosing to study for them, however.

Bear in mind that these type of qualifications are voluntary only, as we don't have mandatory hunter's training in the UK yet, even if some might like to treat it as such. For sure there are more deer stalkers in the UK that the 23,000 who have completed Level 1!

How is it in Canada?
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 11-10-2016 at 08:43.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

The highest qualification as a stalker is "Experience ", it's a long course but a great way of learning

Quote Originally Posted by Roncon1 View Post
    The highest qualification as a stalker is "Experience ", it's a long course but a great way of learning
    Agreed as long as you are starting from a point of best practice plus constant improvement through keeping upto date, other wise you will just be compounding errors in your safety, be that rifle or food.

Quote Originally Posted by AgincourtArcher View Post
    I know qualifications wont necessarily mean you are a skilled hunter, but what is the highest stalking qualification you can achieve in the UK?

Is there a DSC 3 yet?
    Two options spring to mind:

1. The German Hunter qualification is very highly regarded worldwide. I am not sure if you can do this course in the English language..(?)
    2. The LANTRA Level 2 Center-fire/fox control course is very demanding on safety and rifle handling, including from a vehicle, and distance estimation and safe shooting in bad light/in the dark. When I finally passed -on the second attempt- it gave me bags of confidence and helped me a lot with finding permissions - for deer.
    A few wisdom's:
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men
    • If you can get closer, get closer.
    • If you can get more stable, get more stable.

There will be if they can charge you money