Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What leaves these little red berry's?

What leaves these little red berry's?

Hi all,
    I'm new to stalking so this may seem like a stupid question. As I'm getting to know my new permissions I'm following deer tracks and working out there paths in and out of plantations when I find what looks like regurgitated red berry's from nearby trees.
    As there is a lot of wildlife in the are I'm wondering if any of these may have picked them up and got sick or is this something deer do that I was not aware of.
    This is a pick of how I find them I the middle of a run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinemartins seem to eat a lot of them. Many birds feed on them to

So from your photo they look like rowan, if so deer sheep horses etc eat them before frosts, they cause reflux and the animal often regurgitates them, hope that helps.
    As an after thought, 25-06 states- pine martens eat them, well like rhubarb, rowan and whitebeam berries are often eaten by pregnant Mustelid group of mammals.

Except that ruminants and horses don't vomit (some exception , but not rowan) I'm inclined to think its young foxes, as I saw some in droppings that also had a lot of beetle cases. I guess rowan is not that digestible to a carnivore.

There is plenty of foxes and badgers around this area. but with berries also gone from the lower branches I was thinking deer as no cattle are there at the min. Thanks for the info guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for raising this question gigidy, I saw exactly the same small piles of berries, albeit with the slime washed off by rain, on a forestry track used by deer in Argyll a few weeks back and was wondering exactly the same thing myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Buchan View Post
    Except that ruminants and horses don't vomit (some exception , but not rowan) I'm inclined to think its young foxes, as I saw some in droppings that also had a lot of beetle cases. I guess rowan is not that digestible to a carnivore.
    I was going to suggest fox or possibly Badgers?

You often see piles of badger crap comprised entirely of Yew berries so I was wondering if Rowan would have the same effect on them.

Some of SD at its best in my personal ( Andy ) view ( paul O' already got his coat so that's ok )

See them up here quite a bit around this time and for this spot it is Pine Marten - we get chance to see them stuffing on Whitebeam and Rowan out the living room window ( Disney 'aaaawwww' from visitors ) and then in the quiet of evening listening to and at other times watching the furry blighters honking the lot back up ( Disney 'eeeeew# from visitors ). As weeks pass the vomit reduces and the berries appear in reducing 'solidity' in the PMP ( Pine Marten Poop ).

I often wonder how come something that a critter does annually - so it seems - doesnt over time assimiliate. IE how come their body chemistry doesn't adapt to process these berries? Be genuinely interested in the answer/ theories.

More than happy to accept not a Pine M 'thing' and other Mustalids and assorted animals/ birds do the same. Only writing of the experience here
    Stalking and Courses http://www.stalkingschool.co.uk
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017