Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taking reloads to Sweden

Taking reloads to Sweden

Can anyone tell me if it's OK to take reloaded ammo into Sweden please. I've heard a couple of conflicting reports, someone says it's OK, someone else says your not allowed to. I'm going over soon and obviously I don't want to take something that's not allowed, also if not, I'll have to try out some factory ammo. Thanks.

I have heard this question a few times, particularly when travelling by plane, but if ammo is reloaded 'properly' how can anybody tell the difference ?
    Even if not boxed in commercial boxes, what is to say they haven't been packed in your favourite 'Plastic Range Box' to give you bigger quantities than the normal commercial box holds.

When you do your security check at the airport, they have started to insist that ammunition is in its original factory packaging. I only use factory anyway, but I used to take the handy plastic Norma holders out of the cardboard box and put them cushioned cutouts in my peli-storm ammuntion box. Eighteen months or so ago, I was told politely that this was no longer allowed, but as I didn't know they would let me fly.

So, as far as I have experienced, the rule seems to be that as long as your rounds packaged as factory, then there will be no problem. (How could there be? Who could even tell?) If you re-house them in range boxes or similar, then you may well struggle. I have to add that none of it makes any sense to me!

regards

Ian

As long as you have your license and weapons passport I don't see why not, not being an expert.
    The airline might have their own rules though for the transportation.

Quote Originally Posted by Eamonn View Post
    As long as you have your license and weapons passport I don't see why not, not being an expert.
    The airline might have their own rules though for the transportation.

I agree, it sounds more like something decided by the airline rather than Swedish law. I've driven over with reloads the last couple of times I've been on hunting trips there.

put them in factory boxes,
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitter View Post
    When you do your security check at the airport, they have started to insist that ammunition is in its original factory packaging.
    Which airport was that, and what airline, as it might just be that one? Not an issue at Gatwick when I've travelled.

I've travelled from Gatwick, Heathrow and Luton and always carried my ammo in plastic holders from the commercial box, just to stop them rattling about, and inside a small metal cash box with four loose rounds in the moulding of the lid in my hold luggage.
    I have never had an issue with several different airlines, with one exception and that was BA and on that occasion I was the only one of the 14 in our group that was singled out.
    That was not an issue with the type of ammo just that the individual checking me stated that ammo could not be carried on the plane at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan_Terrier View Post
    I agree, it sounds more like something decided by the airline rather than Swedish law. I've driven over with reloads the last couple of times I've been on hunting trips there.
    It's purely an air-travel/transportation issue. I assumed when I read the OP that he was flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Which airport was that, and what airline, as it might just be that one? Not an issue at Gatwick when I've travelled.
    It's a good point. Now I think about it, it has only happened on the way back from Sweden. It was the security at Göteborg Landvetter. I generally fly SAS and they didn't take an interest at Heathrow or Stansted.
    Last edited by rabbitter; 11-10-2016 at 14:51.

Had a brainwave:

On this link: http://www.flysas.com/en/uk/travel-i...ecial-baggage/

"Ammunition is classed as a hazardous good and must be shipped in its original packaging that protects against strong impact. Ammunition must be packed together with the vital part of the weapon or in a separate bag that you check in. You can take up to 5 kg/11 lbs. of ammunition with you."