Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fallow Rut

Fallow Rut

Was warm over the weekend but well under 10 degrees this morning. Hoping the temp drop will trigger the bucks into rut mode.

I took yesterday and today off work with the hope of getting my first Irish fallow buck, sadly saw nothing last night or today, although there are signs of deer on the land which borders mature and new plantation on 2 sides.

Most of my stalking heretofore has been roe, only shooting the odd fallow, wondering if they can be called in?

Has anyone heard calling yet?

Grunting in the New Forest!

The Fallow Deer where I was Saturday have already started the usual routine`s prior to rutting. Also using the same travel routes across the ground.
    I shot this nice well conditioned Sorrel in exactly the same place where I shot one last year. Same week and approximately the same time of evening.
    Lovely aroma he had, well he did have.

I was out this morning and heard two fallow grunting only half heartdly . By next weekend they should be full on.

Chill

Quote Originally Posted by dryan View Post
    Most of my stalking heretofore has been roe, only shooting the odd fallow, wondering if they can be called in?

Has anyone heard calling yet?
    I didn't hear anything in north Wales so far.

I have called a groaning buck in quite close but to do a decent imitation is much harder on the throat than calling a red stag in. I have a mechanical caller sold as a fallow call but actually designed for whitetail but it does a passable fallow grunt and is much easier on the vocal chords.
    Last edited by paul k; 15-10-2016 at 19:34.

Out in Oxfordshire this morning. Some groaning going on. Not long now

Quote Originally Posted by paul k View Post
    I didn't hear anything in north Wales so far.

I have called a groaning buck in quite close but to do a decent imitation is much harder on the throat than calling a red stag in. I have a mechanical caller sold as a fallow call but actually designed for whitetail but it does a passable fallow grunt and is much easier on the vocal chords.
    Any tips on calling would be much appreciated. Have tried a couple of times with no real success. Is it best in the wood or can you call them onto open ground etc? Have got primos grunter.

Did,nt hear any thing in the new forest this morning. Warm and damp. The rut would normally have been at it for a while now but think it has been to warm over the last few weeks. Have heard grunting elsewhere but not full on.
    Last edited by liongeorge; 15-10-2016 at 22:43.

Quote Originally Posted by liongeorge View Post
    Any tips on calling would be much appreciated. Have tried a couple of times with no real success. Is it best in the wood or can you call them onto open ground etc? Have got primos grunter.

Did,nt hear any thing in the new forest this morning. Warm and damp. The rut would normally have been at it for a while now but think it has been to warm over the last few weeks. Have heard grunting elsewhere but not full on.
    I have a primos grunted. It only works if you are close enough to get under their skin, ie under 30m I have found.
    Hunted - England, Scotland, Poland, South Africa and Spain.

Just my opinion on Fallow deer management is that i`d much rather stay perfectly quite than make some artificial noise to attract there attention.
    Your time would be much better spent concentrating on there movement points and frequented traffic area`s.
    Your position for a successful engagement is the key to success.

Nice size Sorrel but poor antler formation..

They were grunting away in Central Perthshire about 10 days ago, but seem to have gone quiet again. Same thing happened with the reds at the start of the month, so hopefully they'll start up again this week.