Hi from Norfolk

Martin M

Hello everybody
I found the site whilst messing around didnt know it was here or would of joined sooner. I have been shooting for nearly 30 years stalking is my main field sport before that it was Falconry I also shoot Bench Rest and F-Class, the calibres I us for hunting are .243 .308 7STW, .257 weth, 300 ultra mag and .416 rem. For competition I use 6mm Swiss Match which is Ackley Improved, 6.5x285 and presently I am having a .284 built for F-Class. I am a member of the BDS BASC and the NRA. I have hunted also in the USA and Sweden. Well I think covers about everything oh yes and I am going to be a Granddad again isn't getting old wonderful.
Look forward to chatting to everyone.
Martin M

Hi Martin
Welcome to this site.
I have been Breeding Birds of prey for a few years and hunt with a Goshawk, I have completed my DSC1 and 2 it would be good to meet if we have another get together in Larling Angel.

HI Dusk
I used to breed Spars and Peregrines but life got too busy so just have time for shooting these days. I shoot a lot off competitions Internationally so away alot and its hard to find someone who will take on the responsibilty of looking after someone elses birds and dogs. My grandson was looking at some pictures of his mum flying a spar and it looks like he might be interested so that might get me back into it one day. let me know if you have a get together would be good to meet up and tell some tall stories like digging Goshawks out of rabbit holes. Where in Norfolk are you I near North Walsham.
Martin

Welcome martin,

Hmm Pity I didn't see this the other day as just outside the village was a large Hawk flying around a field. Seemed larger than a Buzzard with a longer tail. what struck me was the beautiful dark vee shape on it's wings and back as it turned away then i noticed the Jessies hanging from the leg. obviously a lost one.

HI Brithunter
Thank you.
You have a nice site here. Yes there seems to be a few escapes about these days. Do you tend to have any get togethers in this part of the countrie?
Nice to see you have a section on balistics and reloading one of my favourite subjects.
Martin M

get togethers not that I am aware of but with a few of use from Norfolk and Lincs now perhaps we should get one sorted before the good weather vanishes. Although it was nott eh same birb this one beign wild we had a visitor in the next field earlier. A harrier I am guessing lighter more shapely wings than a Buzzard and a longer tail. We do get Hen harriers here as well as the odd Montagues and even Marsh Harriers being just off the fens.. Perhaps I shouldn't say but what the heck. I have been reloading since I started full bore shooting. Started off with pistols then moved into rifle. the first cartridge for rifels was the .270 Winchester and now load for a few different cartridges ;).

Sounds like a Harrier I dont think there will be many twitchers here so they should be ok. I have spent the last week neck turning 300 cases now need to fire form them with the price of powder as it is I think I might invest in one of the new forming dies from Hornady. Thing that most annoys me is the price of powder in uk 1kg vit anywhere up to £80 when I was shooting in the US in May it was about $40 do you think someone might be over charging a bit?:confused:

do you think someone might be over charging a bit?:confused:

No, I think somebody IS overcharging, A LOT. It beats me how a product from Europe can be sold cheaper in the States than it can be in another EU country.
Welcome to the site Martin.

Yes Martin we get to watch Harriers fairly often here. Our boundary is the patrol route of a barn owl, little owls are seen often but we have a pair of slightly lager Owls but I am not sure what they are. A few years ago we had a Hobby perched on the gate post but have not seen one close since then. So yes it's fairly good for spotting and watching birds of prey. The lack of people and buildings i am sure helps.

As for Rip offs ............................................... well years back I heard the American companies called the UK treasure islands as they could make threes years profits in one here with the inflated prices. I know companies have to make a profit but 100-300% is a bit excessive. When jack ahd the gun shop he sued to buy Le Chamau wellies in from tne main distributer in Europe and selling for the price the British importer sold them tot eh trade and jack was making the same mark up as if he brought them from the British importer and sold them at the RRP. Peed the importer here no end that did. I bet they were glad when he retired and let the shop go.

Hi Martin
I did not see your reply until now I live near Thetford.
If we get together It would be good to meet you.
Regards
Paul
HI Dusk
I used to breed Spars and Peregrines but life got too busy so just have time for shooting these days. I shoot a lot off competitions Internationally so away alot and its hard to find someone who will take on the responsibilty of looking after someone elses birds and dogs. My grandson was looking at some pictures of his mum flying a spar and it looks like he might be interested so that might get me back into it one day. let me know if you have a get together would be good to meet up and tell some tall stories like digging Goshawks out of rabbit holes. Where in Norfolk are you I near North Walsham.
Martin

Back