Gralloching

mr fudd

Whats the easiest and quickest way to cleanly get the arse and **** bag out?

I bought a butt out a while back and although clean and relatively easy I managed to snap one of the lugs off it trying to pull it back out and not sure whether to replace it?

I watched a video again on the suspended gralloch which made it look easy and quick however in practice it wasn't so! I ended puncturing the **** bag whilst trying to cut through the pelvic bone so gave up and did it my usual way

just wondered if any of you have found a quick easy sure fire way to deal with getting the back end out quickly and cleanly??

There are so many ways to get it all out from splitting the pelvis and cutting out that way to just getting ur fingers in and cutting around the anus. Theres no glamorous way to do it unfortunately. To be very honest, i normally leave it in. When i butcher the meat, i rarely need to touch it and it goes in the bin along with the pelvis. Game dealer takes it with the bladder/anus still in also so not really worried myself with it.

Last edited:
Whats the easiest and quickest way to cleanly get the arse and **** bag out?

I bought a butt out a while back and although clean and relatively easy I managed to snap one of the lugs off it trying to pull it back out and not sure whether to replace it?

I watched a video again on the suspended gralloch which made it look easy and quick however in practice it wasn't so! I ended puncturing the **** bag whilst trying to cut through the pelvic bone so gave up and did it my usual way

just wondered if any of you have found a quick easy sure fire way to deal with getting the back end out quickly and cleanly??
Sagen Saw. Won't leave home without it.~Muir

A-Sagen-Saw.jpg

There are so many ways to get it all out from splitting the pelvis and cutting out that way to just getting ur fingers in and cutting around the anus. Theres no glamorous way to do it unfortunately. To be very honest, i normally leave it in. When i butcher the meat, i rarely need to touch it and it goes in the bin along with the pelvis. Game dealer takes it with the bladder/anus still in also so not really worried myself with it.

Surprised your game dealer takes them with bladder/anus still in. Any that I know want both out.

Most Roe I just leave them in as I don't split the H bone when taking off the haunch. If carcass is going to dealer or being left in larder, at the larder, split the h bone and just pull, carefully cut and pull out. I was originally shown to cut around the anus and pull in - easy enough on red, but I find a bit fiddly to do on roe - probably need a smaller knife with narrower blade.

My usual method is to cut around the anus.Keeping your knife blade close to the pelvic wall loosen the gut. While holding the gut in your hand rotate in a circular motion and gently pull out about two feet. Squeeze out the faeces and double knot it.Having cut through the stomach wall,lay the spine along your index finger,with tip of the blade slightly back from the fingertip.Insert your finger into the opening and slide along exposing the rest of the green gralloch. All out nice and tidy.

I tend to empty the bladder by squeezing form the inside (carefully though, it can rupture). I leave pelvic contents until back home. Splitting the pelvis gives very easy access, but I like to aitch-bone hang so I leave it intact. So - pull tail towards head, cut the skin below it, close to the tail, as deep as you can. Push the knife in close to the bone and cut left and right. Extend the cuts down each side of the pelvis again close to the bone. By now you should have cut most of the attachments of bladder and rectum and it should pull out - backwards. In males, as the penis is attached to the base of the pelvis, they'll be a little e bit of knife work to release it.

Last edited:
I find this an excellent instruction video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbt03HcOxSg

Sometimes bits of the pipe/bladder/can be left behind because they may be difficult to remove. Before hanging the carcass in the larder I prop some kitchen tissues in the cavity on both of the pelvic opening end to prevent any possible leakage. It is also quite easy to, accidentally, get your fingers in there while butchering. Again a few kitchen tissues prevent possible cross-contamination.

I think John Robson "yorkshire deer stalking"? has a film on his web site which might help. http://www.yorkshiredeerstalking.co.uk/videos/

David.

I find this an excellent instruction video:

Sometimes bits of the pipe/bladder/can be left behind because they may be difficult to remove. Before hanging the carcass in the larder I prop some kitchen tissues in the cavity on both of the pelvic opening end to prevent any possible leakage. It is also quite easy to, accidentally, get your fingers in there while butchering. Again a few kitchen tissues prevent possible cross-contamination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UovcHSrcdo

Those two excellent videos by YDS and Jelen and a couple of one to one demonstrations by Paul Hill from Corinium Range and BillH on here are what I base my process on.

Alan

Back