Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oven ready pheasants

Oven ready pheasants

Morning after some advice in oven ready pheasants ,
    i am setting up a small plucking / preparing and selling our shoots birds to earn a little extra cash .
    Any advice would be greatly received ?
    What size trays do you pack them in ? , what do you cut the wings off with ? Where do you put guts / heads / wings ?
    All these and many more little bits that I am sure there are some seasoned people out there doing this ?
    i am going to try and the environmental health to inspect me as I would like to sell locally to pub / shops .
    Any advice please ??
    Many thanks
    Tom

Tom - good on you. The more that this is done, the more we will see game in the shops and on menus. Best of luck.

The first thing you should do id to read this, and then contact your local council.
    https://www.food.gov.uk/sites/defaul...game-guide.pdf
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    The first thing you should do id to read this, and then contact your local council.
    https://www.food.gov.uk/sites/defaul...game-guide.pdf
    MS
    MS is spot on with that guide as a shooter/ hunter you can sell on your excess game but you need to register as a food business with your local council, best way to get rid of guts feathers etc is a 210 ltr steel drum get a good fire going and incinerate the lot, discuss this with council, they will either approve or give you info on best way to dispose of said waste
    get round local hotels restraunts etc see if they want to put pheasant on the menu
    good luck
    Ray

I pack mine in polystyrene sausage trays, and wrap them in cling film using one of these. Date and whether it's a cock or hen is written on a self-adhesive label

As long as it's in 'domestic' quantities, waste can go out with normal household rubbish
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

210 ltr waste disposal of carcasses etc costs us 30 with the local knacker man - bloody good value - does tend to honk a bit in the summer with the lid temporarily off but fine with the lid on

We use this type as easy to get the lid on and off. Once you get a 'brew' going amazing how much it will take before it needs emptying. No probs with the council. Farm assurance. Soil Association etc doing it this way.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drum.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	75330

Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: http://www.uksha.org
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

I hope you have a lot of birds because I don't think you will make much money from it. My local game dealer only charges about a quid to have the plucked and prepped then I think sells the pheasants for 3 each. Have to check on that. Truly remarkable really that a chicken pumped full of crap costs twice as much.

for cutting the wings and the feet off you will be hard pushed to beat a pair of secateuars, i think you can get proper food ones as well now

Quote Originally Posted by N1mr0d View Post
    210 ltr waste disposal of carcasses etc costs us 30 with the local knacker man - bloody good value - does tend to honk a bit in the summer with the lid temporarily off but fine with the lid on

We use this type as easy to get the lid on and off. Once you get a 'brew' going amazing how much it will take before it needs emptying. No probs with the council. Farm assurance. Soil Association etc doing it this way.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drum.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	75330

If you know anyone with an anaerobic digester, they can take the waste. It's only the keratin in the beaks and toes that gets left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    for cutting the wings and the feet off you will be hard pushed to beat a pair of secateuars, i think you can get proper food ones as well now
    Yes you can!
    They are called Poultry Shears and are also great for cutting neatly through the rib bones of small deer!
    http://www.scobiesdirect.com/ItemInf...ItemNo=VK76345
    I have a pair of Victorinox ones similar to these.
    MS