Buzzard.

Nice picture, plenty of them down here in Cornwall too. I like to see them but understand why they are not universally liked, particullary if you are a game shooter. For birds at the top of the food chain, I see them most ofton eating earth worms in the ploughed fields.

We have plenty in Essex (no there's not a punch line coming...). Seen 5 in the air over our little farm but never had an issue with them doing any damage in the pens or seen evidence of them taking poults. Acceptable losses if there are any in return for seeing them about.

Did however see a Sparrowhawk take a Partridge on Friday from just 100 yds away. Not seen that before. Too many of them our way. Saw one take out a Green Woodpecker outside the kitchen window lat year too.

We have plenty in Essex (no there's not a punch line coming...). Seen 5 in the air over our little farm but never had an issue with them doing any damage in the pens or seen evidence of them taking poults. Acceptable losses if there are any in return for seeing them about.

Did however see a Sparrowhawk take a Partridge on Friday from just 100 yds away. Not seen that before. Too many of them our way. Saw one take out a Green Woodpecker outside the kitchen window lat year too.
I have seen several sparrowhawks take partridges, pigeon and various garden birds. They can be a pain in the arsenal. I don't feed birds in my garden because of the sparrowhawk

Great picture. I think there seams to be a big boost in there numbers over the past couple years. On my regular travel to and from work I see one pair always together and other 2 individual birds most days. I also have spotted odd ones on a shoot of mine.

Back