Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: first woodcock

first woodcock

my pointer gave me a spectacular point from great speed to a classic hold the g force lifted his hind legs ,i walked 100 yards or so to him placed my hand on his back ,and up the first woodcock ,i will have to remember to take the gun next time

Nice to know they are on the way, sounds like a great point.

I've been seeing/hearing them for a couple of weeks now when I've been out foxing at night.

Very early on the mainland if they are visitors, I would suggest they are home bred birds. Saw first very large flock of fieldfares today.
    Honour all men, Love the Brotherhood, Fear God, Honour the Queen.

Keep the Faith.

We flushed 1 beating Saturday. Great to see.

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk

4 today they dont stay long with us very clear sky this evening and a bright waning moon so there will be more about in the morning

I shot my first one last year. I didn't even know what it was it got up so fast and someone shouted shoot it so I did. Felt a touch guilty as I licked it up. Beautiful little thing never seen one before. Tasted bloody good though.

Blog Entries
    Shot one yesterday in north Yorks. In good condition, flushed a couple more as well.

Quote Originally Posted by The fourth Horseman View Post
    Very early on the mainland if they are visitors, I would suggest they are home bred birds. Saw first very large flock of fieldfares today.
    The GWCT have a good fact sheet on woodcock populations and this page is also worth a read. They prudently steer clear of advising a moratorium on the shooting of woodcock from local populations, but with arrivals from more robust populations likely within a few weeks, I'm happy to wait and see what kind of a "fall" we get in the woods on our shoot and decide with my fellow guns how sparingly to shoot thereafter.

We had our first day last Friday and also saw a good flock of fieldfares, plus one small brown woodcock, which flew unmolested along the gun line before disappearing back into the trees.
    Last edited by Mr. Gain; 31-10-2016 at 10:12.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

woodcock arrived in good numbers last night i put up over 20 counted whilst putting out grit several would have presented a good double ,and more later on a small area near a waterfall ,i often find they fall in near running water , as the moon wanes most will leave us ,so it looks as if they have done well this year ,hope they dont get too hard shot