Looks like there has been another griz attack.

When you live or hunt in the Idaho, Wyoming, or Montana you run the risk of encountering things that will consider you a food snack. Locally we have black and grizzly bear, lions, and wolverines... tho the latter are harder to encounter I have seen them in the wild. Lions scare me worse than bears. While bears may attack at a random encounter, lions will hunt you.~Muir

Just remember one day the deer may not run away

There is a bull on one of my perms that would love to have a go
Always having to watch him he stalks me at night

Heck yes! Bulls get pretty territorial! Myself and a couple of Board Members of the Soap Creek Prairiedog Assn got run off by a gigantic herd bull a couple of summers ago. He came at us from a quarter mile out, bellowing and on the fight. We shot into the ground in front of him and tried every other deterrent short of putting a round between his eyes and he finally stopped 20 ft out and growled at us until we packed up and left.~Muir

**** that! I was rabbit shooting a few years back and got put on my arse by a ram. That was bad enough!

Hey Muir, Wow! That's proper wilderness hunting. Must try it one day. Do you carry a side arm just in case of short range encounters? How many hunters get hunted by big cats, do you think, in an average season?

How many hunters get hunted by big cats, do you think, in an average season?
More than know it i suspect!
My friend was cow calling elk in the Bitterroot valley, Montana, he was not hunted, but watched as the lion approached, he had a tag in his pocket for one, but thought he wasn't allowed to kill at that time/area so let it go, but even after it had identified him as human it still approached.
My first purchase will be bear pepper spray when i land, useful on bears, mountain lions...and humans:D
As for handguns, my friend was born in Montana, after i used his .44 Ruger magnum on a target i said something like 'look out bears', his reply was 'pistols are worthless on them man!'
Cheers
Richard

Last edited:
Hey Muir, Wow! That's proper wilderness hunting. Must try it one day. Do you carry a side arm just in case of short range encounters? How many hunters get hunted by big cats, do you think, in an average season?
Lions stalk every one and every thing. There was a study done on lions that had radio collars and they tracked and observed a big cat around a popular park jogging trail. When the jogger stumbled on the path, the lion went into hunting mode, closing in on the jogger. Four years ago a neighbor of my brother had a lion pounce onto the back of his stock horse while he was in the saddle. He rode to my brother's place where he found my son and I, and we went into the thicket looking for it. My son with his 6.5x55 and i with my Springfield Armory XD .45acp with the 12 round mag. We only got a glimpse of it and no shot. Generally, I don't carry a side arm in winter months. Bears hibernate and deer season's are in the colder months. We still see them into November but they seem disinterested. The best defense is to keep alert.~Muir

Just remember one day the deer may not run away

There is a bull on one of my perms that would love to have a go
Always having to watch him he stalks me at night
He's not a big holstein up the Elwy valley is he?

I just posted a photo of a large puma taking a whitetail buck at a wild boar feeder, about 40 miles from my house.

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/125919-Cougar-sighting-in-Tennessee?p=1170249#post1170249

As Muir said, cats are natural stalkers. I have hunted several species of cats, and have friends who have, too. If you stay after one, tracking, at some point they will find a spot to ambush you.

Bears will, too. I have hunted bears on the ground, with a bow and arrow, and been very close, in thick woods and failing light, where they circled me. Sometimes it is an accidental encounter, but their methods are the same. A friend of mine in Washington state was high in the mountains hunting elk two years ago when he saw a very fresh grizzly track on the logging road. As he eased back out, he saw even fresher tracks going across the road the other direction, where the grizzly had circled behind him. He was very glad to ease back to his truck. A bear can walk almost silently on dry leaves.

Last edited:
I remember being given a brief my a Canadian Park Ranger many many years ago when we were trecking through the Rockies. We asked about climbing trees in the event of a bear attack. He said there was no point as Black Bears would climb up after you. But what if its a Grizzly we asked, No point again, as the Grizzly would just push the tree over!!:cry:

The nearest we came was stepping over a steaming pile right in the middle of the trail, but nothing else seen.

I remember being given a brief my a Canadian Park Ranger

I was skiing in Lake Louise a few years ago and we had to wear 'bear bells' to let any non-hibernating bears know we were there. Apparently there were grizzlys in the area too though. Our guide said we could tell which species was in the area by checking the scat. Apparently, grizzly bear crap often has wee bells in it :eek: :lol:

Back