Jack Hargreaves on deer

A large number of Out of Towns have recently appeared on YouTube...if only the BBC would junk Countryfile together with their favourite "non-regular" presenter and put on some proper rural stuff!

He thought letting deer shooting to foreigners was unacceptable!!!!!
That made the hair stand up on a few people's neck, I bet.

As well as Out of Town do you remember Country Boy also? I used to get home from school and skipping prep especially to see it on ATV in the 60s. I agree lets drop Packham and co and bring these gems back.

I loved the 'Out of Town' series as a child; on the rare occasions I was allowed to watch it: too busy being given chores to do at weekends unfortuantely

I always have (And still do) looked on watching Jack Hargreaves and "Out of Town" as one of life's real pleasure. Jack was what I class as a real countryman, someone who knew all aspects of country matters inside out.
If the BBC could find someone who had Jack Hargreave's knowledge and way of presenting countryside and wildlife programs then they would be on to a sure winner - And it would most certainly put programs made by the likes of Brian May, Bill Oddie and Chris Packham to shame!

I treated myself to a boxed set of Out of Town, television covering country life in the proper way, rather than the sanitised version portrayed by Countryfile. Some may not know that Jack Hargreaves was MD of Southern TV and that probably had a lot to do with how it got on TV.

I treated myself to a boxed set of Out of Town, television covering country life in the proper way, rather than the sanitised version portrayed by Countryfile. Some may not know that Jack Hargreaves was MD of Southern TV and that probably had a lot to do with how it got on TV.

I was in Auz a number of years ago and saw the un-cut version of a Hugh Fernley Whittingstall catching hares with a long net (well gate net).

A far different event than the one I watched previously at home lol

Tim.243

This is a great video, and if only television programs like this could still be made today, but doubtless the PC brigade would find it too traumatic to have film of a deer being shot. A wonderful episode mixing country lore, natural history, fieldcraft and shooting.

Interesting to hear him say that they watched the deer for three weeks before deciding which one to shoot - a bit different to today!

Also I wonder if anyone else watched this and questioned why we seem to have come to "need" bigger and more powerful scopes and rifles, all manner of camouflage kit, rangefinders and the like?

There's a few things here that have changed with the gralloch as well, at least so far as Best Practice ;)

Did anyone happen to recognise the "Officer of the British Deer Society"?

Back