Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sub-sonic fullbore loads??????????????????????????????????

sub-sonic fullbore loads??????????????????????????????????

Hi,
    Has anyone tried subsonic fullbore !
    I have looked around on the net for info and found a few interesting articles but I wonder if anyone has tried?
    The crack of a moderated fullbore rifle can attract interference in some instances, would silent subsonic ammo through a mod be any good for perhaps badger culling without attracting unwanted attention.
    Just a thought!

I load 405gr cast round nose in my 45/70 between 800-1300 with trailboss and unique. I don't have a suppressor as my government thinks they are evil, but they still have a mighty wack at 900 fps.

I have loaded my 30-06 with 13 grains of trail boss and used 220 grain round nose sierra bullets , also drilled out the flash hole a bit and used magnum primers (if you drill out the hole make sure you mark them to never use normally again)
    Worked well really like a .22 with a lot more down range energy.

You would need a 370 grain bullet ,travelling at just under the speed of sound, to achieve the required muzzle energy of 1000 Ft.Lbs.

22lr work as good as any noisy centrefire ?????

I had a go couple of years ago, no real gain and a lot of pain, didn't really work for me and a friend who also had a run at it give up eventually, hardest point was accuracy and a consistent trajectory

good luck if you have a go, keep us posted

ATB

phil

would be interesting if a factory started making it.

Sako and Lapua both make factory subsonic .308 but both are FMJ
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Bruce Potts did a lot of work on subsonic centre fire a few years back. Fascinating article.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

It's great fun but not deer legal
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !