Deerstalking Fair, 29th & 30th April, 2017

jamross65

The 5th Deerstalking Fair to be held north of the border will take place over the 29th & 30th April, 2017 at the Black Isle Showground, Muir of Ord, Ross Shire. The fair has been running annually at Kelso in the Scottish Borders since 2013 and has proved to be a very popular event in the deerstalking community. However, just as other fairs have moved around the country the organisers felt that the Deerstalking Fair should also be showcased to a new audience for 2017. With the highlands and in particular Inverness being at the heart of deerstalking country, it seemed an obvious choice for a venue.

As well as new traders and exhibitors who have already approached us wanting to attend, the majority of our existing exhibitors were very supportive to see the fair take place at this venue and have confirmed their attendance. We will return at some point to the Scottish Borders but ever since the fair began we have been asked to consider taking it North as well as South of the border to make it accessible to others. As well as traders exhibiting rifles, off road vehicles, ATV's, optics, knives, CIC trophy measuring, night vision kit, reloading equipment, clothing, footwear and general accessories including items for larders and butchering, there will be several seminars and demonstrations taking place throughout the weekend and we are still discussing what exactly to offer with those providing this feature to ensure a full programme is available to those attending.

Viking Arms and Meopta have confirmed they will be sponsoring the fair and will hopefully have their hi-tech shooting simulator running for visitors to have a go. This feature proved very popular at Kelso. They will have all the latest products from Merkel Helix, Ruger, Meopta and Lapua, plus a lot more.

The support we have had from the deerstalking community at Kelso has been fantastic, ever since the first event. We like the venue there and think we have found a similar exhibition hall at the Black Isle Showground that allows the event to remain indoors thereby negating any worries about poor weather effecting the show. It is a short drive outside Inverness, which may provide the opportunity for those wanting to attend from farther afield the chance of making a weekend of it and seeing the other attractions in the area.

We are excited about this new venue and hope the future sees the fair also travel to England. We are currently looking at a couple of suitable venues South of the Border and will announce any plans as soon as we can.

Admission costs are £10 per adult, children under 16 are free and parking in the showground is also free.

The organisers look forward to seeing you all in the spring next year.

Last edited:
Hope it goes well, its good to give others a chance to have it at a reasonable distance from them, unfortunately I will be unlikely to make it the Black Isle is a fair hike for me, wouldn't be so bad if I could have done both days ,but with dogs and other responsibilities that's just not possible, besides with dates at the end of April I will all most certainly have clients at the Bucks.
Never mind will hopefully catch up with it sometime in the future.

Bloody typical, I move South and you move the fair to what used to be on my doorstep :D.

Good luck to you both up there I'm sure it will go well.

John

Worth the trip alone, what a great part of Scotland. Will try to arrange to be in Banff the same weekend and make the journey over.

Bloody typical, I move South and you move the fair to what used to be on my doorstep :D.

Good luck to you both up there I'm sure it will go well.

John

Do you think Brian is trying to tell you something? Ha ha

Bloody typical, I move South and you move the fair to what used to be on my doorstep :D. Good luck to you both up there I'm sure it will go well. John

John, you call where you are South !!!
You should be where I live :) in comprism, you are still 'oop north' to most of us 'soft southerners'
Just for clarification, anything further up from Bristol is 'up north to us !

Certainly makes sense to try a new venue and we have confirmed our attendance & will partner up again with John & Andy from the Stalking School.

We are planning a keen deal on Lowa Hunter GTX stalking boots & I believe John/Andy will also have some interesting gear to preview.

Will post more details nearer the time.

Br

Rob & Jess

Sorry Brian, twice the distance for me so I'm gutted, absolutely love the show and as you know I've supported it from the start "even the Newark one" as I love the banter/**** take with folk but 172miles compared to 392 it's a no brainer buddy
Wish you all the best with it
Jimmy

Jayb, Jimmy, bogtrotter, in fact anyone who has been a regular attender at Kelso, we know this won't suit you guys and a lot of others too. It was a decision that we took that we knew would effect some of the regulars and we will be disappointed not to have the chance to catch up with you all at Kelso. As Jim (bogtrotter) says, it makes it accessible for some others who preciously had too far to travel. It will be back at Kelso so don't worry!

Like you Jim, i'll likely have guests here too so will need to get them covered over that weekend. We worried that perhaps guys tied up stalking with guests may find it difficult to get away for the fair but there is always Sunday and maybe visiting guest stalkers would want to attend the fair too???? ;):D

Good to see the fair heading to a different location , im sure the guys in the north will appreciate it, although you cant please everyone. It will be interesting to see if the attendance will be up or down on previous years . I will try to make it up to support the fair , but the later date makes it trickier for me.
Good luck with the new venue , which im sure will attract new folk to the fair.

Good to see the fair heading to a different location , im sure the guys in the north will appreciate it, although you cant please everyone. It will be interesting to see if the attendance will be up or down on previous years . I will try to make it up to support the fair , but the later date makes it trickier for me.
Good luck with the new venue , which im sure will attract new folk to the fair.

Thanks for the support 10.9

Totally understand Brian also it's your show to try new things with and as I said I wish you all the best with it, however! !!!! Lol I know Bri always a however with me lol, as the guys from Aberdeen area would be travelling approx the same distance as many the likes of myself if it were in Kelso !! Well I guess you see my point eh ? If I can be arsed to travel neck end of 200 to it surely if they were that interested they also would.
Regards
Jimmy

Just done a quick Google :(
566 miles and with light traffic 9 hours, with heavy traffic 10hrs 40 minutes !!!
Sorry, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to make it.
There are site members living further south than me so they may struggle too.
But good luck with it anyway.

Good luck Brian to far for me also and I will be trying to locate a few elusive bucks on that weekend that's for sure.

Back