stalkers that smoke

I don't smoke anymore but if I did, there is no reason that I could not smoke when out stalking. If the wind is wrong and they smell your fag, they would have already smelt you anyway!! In fact, it is useful to have a cigarette on the go as it will constantly tell you the wind direction.

right i would have thort that because it is a stronger smell that the deer would have smelt it easyer.

Always best to keep the breeze in your face rather that from behind. Number 1 rule of stalking.

That used to be one of the questions in the old test for the Woodland Stalkers Certificate and it was surprising how much conversation that subject generated.
Of course Andy L is quite correct. Always stalk in to the wind.

i don't realy like people to smoke whilst out with me as all the extra hand movements related from lighting up to stubbing out can sometimes alert deer to your presence and when you are trying to get in for a shot, being a non smoker it is an unwelcome smell, when you are shoulder to shoulder and smoke is wafting across your face, plus as it is getting dark the fag often lights up like a beacon giving away your actual position, then when you get into the vehicle to go home why do they allways want to hav those last few drags then breathe the smoke back into the motor.
on the positive side the smoke can act as a excellent wind direction indicator but i like to feel the breeze on my face or scuff the ground or even if cold enough just use my breath these are some of my preferd methods

im not going to be smokeing whels actualy on the stalk but before i spot a deer to stalki or after i hav shot the beest do you guys think it would be ok

Always been partial to a rough shag when I'm stalking. :)

Deer may not smell you if you're stalking well, but beware the telltale puff of white smoke which can give you away to them.

I used to stalk with a mate of mine who smoked, and I didn't, we both obeyed all the rules of stalking, the only difference being he would sit up every now and again for a smoke. You have no idea how many beast's he got from these fag breaks, and I am talking about woodland stalking here not on the hill.

Make of that what you will.

John

A mate of mine smokes like a chimney, 50 or 60 a day. when in a hide you know where he is by the red glow, he wonders why not much comes :lol:

[The Mole"]Always been partial to a rough shag when I'm stalking. :)

Do's the noise not put the deer off ??????????

Im actually stopping right now but smoking in the field only posed 1 bloody problem!! Those hilly bits always seemed steeper the next visit!!!

nutty

I quote Mole:- "Always been partial to a rough shag when I'm stalking".

Really! :eek: Fancy coming stalking with me Mole? ;) I do a fine line in rough shag :lol:

Russ Just think how much stalking you could afford if you stopped that filthy habit! Anyway shouldn't it be like sex, have your fag afterwards whilst enjoying the after glow! :lol:

hehehehe yep im gunna have to cut down or stop im bluddy skint at the moment. hopeing to get out stalking son tho when i hav gt some money

We have covered this subject before in the past on here, with various for's and against.

Personally to me what ever anyone says IMHO smoking will give you away quicker. My sense of smell is terrible, but I can smell cigarette smoke from a long way off, so a deer has even more chance and if you are in a wood with the wind swirling about this is going to travel further, and also it is on your clothes.

Testing the wind while you stalk with a fag in your mouth is fine if you want to go that way. BUT not with me you aint.

Beowulf said:
Fancy coming stalking with me Mole? ;) I do a fine line in rough shag

I know what you mean - but I can't help remembering that you were naval, Beo :eek: So I must decline your very kind offer ........

russ91 said:
hehehehe yep im gunna have to cut down or stop im bluddy skint at the moment. hopeing to get out stalking son tho when i hav gt some money
hi russ
i notice from other threads you shoot a few foxes and thats where you see your deer what sort of set up do you hav and what permission is given to you by the farmers?

Back