Taking care of your stalking boots

Grandhubert

Ever since a well deserved dressing down from Gadget and Adamant on the folly of not taking care of the leather on one's boots I have been meaning to get round to doing something about it.

Unfortunately just as desire coincided with activity I have forgotten what they recommended....:oops:

What do people use to take care of their boots, the suede bits especially?

I read an article about a year ago in a country magazine and used the idea, Castor Oil warmed up and rubed over your boots ( i used old ones to try ) worked a treat ! Water proof again. I will be wearing them at the Monmouth Meet in August....................
Steve..........

Amir - I use two different forms of gunk. The first is the tinned Nikwax dubbin, shortly to be discontinued so I have a large stockpile. The second is a German military dubbin in a purposeful green tin, purchased from my buddy Commando Dave at the local survivalist suppliers that you recently visited. Neither product rots the stitching like old fashioned boot dubbin sometimes does.

Both smell pretty neutral and get liberally applied to DRY boots with a toothbrush, usually having placed the tin somewhere warm to softed the wax a bit. I do the suede bits as well on my summer boots and pay particular attention to the tongue, any creased or crinkled bits (on the boots :rolleyes:) and all of the seams. Your neglected comedy Ronald Macdonald size 12 clown boots will probably need two tins...

I do my boots after every stalking trip - leaky boots are a thing off the past, unless it's a sole puncture, in which case tyre glue and red hot wire are the approved repair method.

Don't get it mixed up with your moustache wax (or that tin of Mr Ramrod Stay-Stiff Cream you purchased on-line) as the consequences could be messy.

Adam.

Amir - I use two different forms of gunk. The first is the tinned Nikwax dubbin, shortly to be discontinued so I have a large stockpile. The second is a German military dubbin in a purposeful green tin, purchased from my buddy Commando Dave at the local survivalist suppliers that you recently visited. Neither product rots the stitching like old fashioned boot dubbin sometimes does.

Both smell pretty neutral and get liberally applied to DRY boots with a toothbrush, usually having placed the tin somewhere warm to softed the wax a bit. I do the suede bits as well on my summer boots and pay particular attention to the tongue, any creased or crinkled bits (on the boots :rolleyes:) and all of the seams. Your neglected comedy Ronald Macdonald size 12 clown boots will probably need two tins...

I do my boots after every stalking trip - leaky boots are a thing off the past, unless it's a sole puncture, in which case tyre glue and red hot wire are the approved repair method.

Don't get it mixed up with your moustache wax (or that tin of Mr Ramrod Stay-Stiff Cream you purchased on-line) as the consequences could be messy.

Adam.

It's a bit of a pain that Nikwax has stopped doing the tins of wax as the product they say is the replacement is poor in comparison.

Grangers G Wax is an almost identical product and is still in production. It is excellent stuff.

I use Neatsfoot oil on my boots. Goes on easily, soaks in well and seems to resist getting whipped out by long wet grass.

Quite cheap to buy, I have found it in a saddlery as well as farm supplies shop.

I use Neatsfoot oil on my boots. Goes on easily, soaks in well and seems to resist getting whipped out by long wet grass.

Quite cheap to buy, I have found it in a saddlery as well as farm supplies shop.

Hi.
I agree. However I find my feet sweat more when the boots are freshly oiled or is it a small amount
oil seeping through? I don't oil them very often.

Bryan.

Hi Amir,i'd second what Ian F recommends,goes on easy and shouldn't need doing to often soaks in well and seems to last,best thing i've ever found for boots.
ATB Neil.

Thank you for the all the advice gentlemen, I shall begin experimentations on various unimportant work shoes immediately.

Adam, is that the shop you took to me to in Herefordshire with the strange thumping noises coming from upstairs?

The lady said it was just her daughter, Tubbs, playing?

Good old Dubbin is the best for leather I have never had boots thats leaked. After expedition when I get home I clean them off under the tap with cold water let them dry off for a few days and then re coat with it . Totally waterproof and the leather remain supple and quite:D

Nothing beats SNO SEAL available from www.tiso.com

You rubbed it on with a cloth and then turned a hair dryer onto the boot so it melted into the leather. Even on hiking boots with no gore-tex lining they stayed proofed for a whole winter.

During the season mine are thrown in the drying room on full heat in the hope they are dry by the morning, unfortunately they are fit for the bin by the end of the hind season.

At circa £250 a pair I cant justify a couple of pairs to swap day for day.

hi guys
i been useing renapur for 10 years now and have not had any problems with it ,it lets water run off and you can walk in water
as well ,it clear and you rub it on with a cloth and let it dry , lets just say i have not been out for over a year now due to
wife braking her back the boots have been in the garage all that time and they are still soft and shinny .you can read up on it
at www.renapur.com its only £12.00 per tin and it will last all season or if you are going to a game fair they may be there asking
to shine your boots try it i did and not looked back since.

I have the Ranapur and im sure there is some NikWax knocking about somewhere that i use when i can lay my hands on it in the house.

Ive heard a lot about this neats oil. Why do you get it and also is it ok with gore tex boots.

I would hate to trash my Glockners (that i clean what i feel is an unhealthy amount!) by using the wrong stuff!

During the season mine are thrown in the drying room on full heat in the hope they are dry by the morning, unfortunately they are fit for the bin by the end of the hind season.

At circa £250 a pair I cant justify a couple of pairs to swap day for day.

I always have at least 2 pairs of boots on the go, they will last longer than 3 pairs back to back.

I still use good old dubbin and pollish it up after it's on, the sno seal is also excellent in the winter and on heathery ground.

My grandfather always said "tell a man by his boots" --

too shiny - does nothing

trashed - rough b****r

worn but well dubbined- that's your man

Also a good pair of boots will cost a weeks wages:old:

I use NeatsFoot oil and ordinary boot polish mainly. I do use Lundhags cream too. Top tip, don't use the Lundhags on your boots then drive your Girlfriend, in her car, for an hour and a half with the heater on full blast! God knows what they make that stuff out of but there has to be bits of dead animal in it it some form! JC

Back