dsc 2 recomended graloch method

conibear

in the future i plan on taking my level 2, but im unsure how they prefer you to clean (graloch) deer.

whats the prefered method for dsc2 ??

thanks dan

You can use what method YOU like and are comfy with.
AS long as the rules are follwed, External checks first, then all external cuts and then a gralloch watching out to avoid cross-contamination.
Then a post-mortem of the nodes and organs.
All my deer are taken in the fields and woods they are all roe and i like to see clients gralloch with as little meat exposed as possible as the deer will have to be extracted.
If they suspend to gralloch I will like to see a field gralloch carried out on 1 beast. Just to show you can do 1 as a suspended gralloch is not practicle in ALL situations.

You can use what method YOU like and are comfy with.
AS long as the rules are follwed, External checks first, then all external cuts and then a gralloch watching out to avoid cross-contamination.
Then a post-mortem of the nodes and organs.
All my deer are taken in the fields and woods they are all roe and i like to see clients gralloch with as little meat exposed as possible as the deer will have to be extracted.
If they suspend to gralloch I will like to see a field gralloch carried out on 1 beast. Just to show you can do 1 as a suspended gralloch is not practicle in ALL situations.
Same

subscitribe to best practice guide its the best value for money there is and shows in good colour pics how to do it,also you should have it when you send in your level 2,it shows you care about doing it properly.

I have never used an axe, but have used a bullet case, only because R.D.C. booklet said that if you lost your knife a bullet case could be used in an emergency, so I tried it yes it works , just flatten the mouth of the case and its sharp enough to perform a graloch, not the neatest of cuts but it does work.

Right just going to sharpen my axe. :lol:

I have never used an axe, but have used a bullet case, only because R.D.C. booklet said that if you lost your knife a bullet case could be used in an emergency, so I tried it yes it works , just flatten the mouth of the case and its sharp enough to perform a graloch, not the neatest of cuts but it does work.

Right just going to sharpen my axe. :lol:
Never tried it but have heard it works and theres the proof.
you would fail the dsc 2 's first page p.c 1.4

a good stalker would always carry 2 knifes,a friend of mine who is a bit of a MR MAGOO carry`s 5 blades and then still thinks he might lose them so he has another 2 in his car.:cuckoo:

thanks
I hate doing qualifications(exams)

I have graloched many animals but always for my own consumption!

and i use differant methods depending on the situation

cheers dan

It interests me why we in the UK use the such a clearly Scottish word gralloch and not - dressing out or eviseration (if that how it is spelt) any comments.
I am happy to use the word I was just curious.
Germans use the word Aufbrechhen (open-breaking)
Martin

It interests me why we in the UK use the such a clearly Scottish word gralloch and not - dressing out or eviseration (if that how it is spelt) any comments.
I am happy to use the word I was just curious.
Germans use the word Aufbrechhen (open-breaking)
Martin

Martin

I've always presumed it's origin comes from the time when the idle rich first started deer-stalking as we know it and headed up to Scotland. There they would have picked up the Gaelic expression and then brought it down South. With roe stalking being a comparatively recent activity (post WW2?) the word would have been carried over into the more general deer stalking vocabulary.

Someone on the site will doubtless correct me if I'm wrong!

willie_gunn

Martin

I've always presumed it's origin comes from the time when the idle rich first started deer-stalking as we know it and headed up to Scotland. There they would have picked up the Gaelic expression and then brought it down South. With roe stalking being a comparatively recent activity (post WW2?) the word would have been carried over into the more general deer stalking vocabulary.

Someone on the site will doubtless correct me if I'm wrong!

willie_gunn

Spot on Willie

We are now to show the smallest cut method for the field (when mentoring).
That is the food pipe cut off through a key hole incision and tied off with zip ties.
Also to expose as little amount of flesh in the field. Not to open from throat to arse.

We are now to show the smallest cut method for the field (when mentoring).
That is the food pipe cut off through a key hole incision and tied off with zip ties.
Also to expose as little amount of flesh in the field. Not to open from throat to arse.

So nothing new then? just how I was taught 40 odd years ago apart from the zip ties we didn't have them in those days:old:

Now on a serious note, can anyone give me an answer.

Went on a best practise day a couple of years ago, in the larder the demonstrator when severing the head at the atlas joint
cut from behind the neck, now I have always cut from the front [and so do most of the professional stalkers that I know]
and I can remove a head quicker and neater than he did.

When I asked him why from the back, he said it must be done from the back but could give me no real explanation why, did mutter that you would cut into the lymph nodes if cutting from the front,but that is nonsense.

So is there a practical reason for cutting from behind the head,or was he just trying to teach his granny to suck eggs.

Bogtrotter

Very interesting - suggest you send him this link: http://www.bestpracticeguides.org.uk/carcass_lardering03.aspx and ask him to look at image 4 ;)

"To remove head bend the head slightly back. Stick the knife into the neck behind the windpipe at a point below the ear and cut outwards to cut open the throat and to expose the joint between the skull and the atlas bone. Cut the tissue either side of this joint and pull or twist the chin back to dislocate the joint. Inspection of the lymphs node associated with the head could be carried out at this point. Cut through the remaining tissue to completely remove the head."

Naturally the England and Wales version is different and goes from the back: http://www.thedeerinitiative.co.uk/pdf/guide_carcass_lardering010509.pdf

"The head is removed by cutting between the last joint of the neck (atlas joint) and skull. With the carcass is suspended cut across the back of the neck directly in line with the lower back edge of the ears, this will expose the atlas joint. Continue the cut all the way around the neck close to the bone to free the skin and muscle. Pulling on one ear (or antler) insert the point of the knife into the joint and work it round as the joint opens and finally separates."

Now I only ever remove the head from the back and that was the way I was taught - I just happen to find it easier. Maybe I should change :oops:

willie_gunn

Back