Yellow moles

W16OEN

Hi Folks,
Nothing stalking related I am afraid but I thought I would seek your opinions on an interesting event. My mate is a mole catcher and recently he has caught two yellow/ginger moles both in the same area. I have seen a silver one before.
I know you get colour variations in most animals and we had a white corbie going around here last year. How unusual/rare is this in moles and do you think it would be of interest to taxidermists or of any value - they are in his freezer at the moment.
Thanks

I've seen a couple of Ginger Beavers but never heard of a ginger mole!:eek: Did they smell like damp monkeys, twiglets or fox pi55?:lol:
I even googled it but could only find a species of yellow mole overseas.
I reckon they would be worth a lot to a taxidermist too. Try one of the taxidermy forums maybe? Don't suppose it makes much difference to them what colour they are due to where they exist!?:confused:
MS:)

I found one a few years ago and had a puicture of it published in the Shooting Times.
I had no feed back or reaction from any of the readers.
I still have a picture of it somewhere.
GingerMole.jpg

I have caught a few thousand in my time, but only ever caught one white/off white one, but that was in an area where they had been caught in the past.

W160EN I am currently working 70 mole traps on various sports pitches and a golf course and in the last twelve months i have caught ginger,yellow a few sandys and my favourite the black and whites.

Below is just a few of them

063-1.jpg

064-1.jpg

062-1.jpg

005-9-1-1.jpg

004-12-1.jpg

002-14-1-1.jpg

003-11-1-1.jpg

047-2.jpg

Just a pure white to go and i have got the full set :D

I have been trapping moles for about 25 years now and it is only in the last two years that i have been catching coloured ones.
ATB
RICK O SHEA

Its obvious :doh: the little yellow buggers are digging there way out of China:-|

Max

W160EN I am currently working 70 mole traps on various sports pitches and a golf course and in the last twelve months i have caught ginger,yellow a few sandys and my favourite the black and whites.

Hi Rick, A bit like the population of UK:) so it is probably only to be expected really that the animals follow suit:)

I've seen a couple of Ginger Beavers but never heard of a ginger mole!:eek: Did they smell like damp monkeys, twiglets or fox pi55?:lol:
I even googled it but could only find a species of yellow mole overseas.
I reckon they would be worth a lot to a taxidermist too. Try one of the taxidermy forums maybe? Don't suppose it makes much difference to them what colour they are due to where they exist!?:confused:
MS:)

I have seen a few ginger beavers as well but my favourites are bronze coloured ones that are nice and silky

Thanks very much for all your replies, very interesting. Like your password Rick - penny only dropped after reading your reply for the 3rd time! Already been a thread on passwords and selection, I think?
Cheers

Back