Damson Whiskey.

I've just made some 'quick' damson gin
I thawed the damsons and squashed them and layered them with an equal weight of caster sugar and put them in the oven at just under 100 deg for 1/2 hour
I kept mixing them so that the sugar was absorbing the juices
I put them into a large stainless stock pan and let them cool and kept stirring them round
Pouring some of the gin help to disolve the sugar (not whilst warm or you drive off the alcohol)
I filtered the juices off and put it in kilner jars
I washed the pulp a couple of time with fresh gin and put the juice in more jars
Topped off the jars with gin and let it all settle and poured off the clear pink nectar
Mmmmmm

The recipe I use for gin is 250 grams of damsons, 100 grams of sugar and 0.5 litres of gin. Drinkable after 3 weeks, but better after 3 months. Easier to put in less sugar, and add more later, than trying to take it out if it's too sweet. Should work with whisky as well.

Made sloe whisky & ive bought sloe whiskey , bloody awesome so damsons bound to be as good if not better !
Crack on !

Paul

Basil I made 3 bottles of damson whiskey , I didn't like it at all damson gin was far nicer 1lb of damsons 1lb of sugar 1 litre of spirits keep turning jar till the sugar dissolves job done .Trevor

I'd go for gin instead too. If you find that the fruit juice has watered it down too much, Polish shops sell a 95% spirit called something like Rektifier....gobbledegook. (probably translates as "rectified spirits" ).

To be honest I`m not too worried what I make, I just don`t want the Damsons going to waste!
Has anyone put the Damsons in Cider after making the Gin?

If they're properly ripe, when you take them out of the spirit, split them open, remove the stone, and cover in chocolate. Liqueur sweets you can get ****ed eating.....

I've just made some 'quick' damson gin
I thawed the damsons and squashed them and layered them with an equal weight of caster sugar and put them in the oven at just under 100 deg for 1/2 hour
I kept mixing them so that the sugar was absorbing the juices
I put them into a large stainless stock pan and let them cool and kept stirring them round
Pouring some of the gin help to disolve the sugar (not whilst warm or you drive off the alcohol)
I filtered the juices off and put it in kilner jars
I washed the pulp a couple of time with fresh gin and put the juice in more jars
Topped off the jars with gin and let it all settle and poured off the clear pink nectar
Mmmmmm

sorry mate

must have missed it, but when is the sample testing evening.

My favourite tipple, That will be delicious

well done

atb

phil

I made damson vodka last year. Delicious. Vodka has less taste than gin or whiskey.
1 kilner jar, 1 bottle of cheap vodka, ~350 grams frozen fruit, ~250 grams of sugar. Fruit and sugar in jar, shake to mix, let fruit thaw. Add vodka, shake daily till all sugar dissolved, leave for 3 months. Bottle, leave for 3 months. Drink.

My old feller used to hav't had it in 40yrs he made it the same way as sloe gin remember it was rocket fuel but very nice ,made the guns shoot shat though :rofl:

I have sloe gin making at the present. 500grms frozen sloes with 700 ml bottle of Gordans in a 2 litre plastic container. Shake daily and store in dark place after a month start to add sugar to taste(Demererra) and you could add a dash of vanilla if you care. I will probably leave several months and then carefully decant/filter and bottle and forget for 6 months.

The wisdom is that you should let the fruit steep in the alcohol before adding sugar which if added initially inhibits the process. Several good tips on line if you google how to make sloe gin.

After making the gin I simmer the used sloe, mash up and use the liquor/puree as a base for sauces or add it to home made ice cream.

I would think in your case the damsons would make a fine base to any sauce you could also consider using them in a mixed fruit crumble.

Any way bet it will taste good.

1 litres of most spirits are on offer at present £15 at Morrisons this week. Last week it was 2x 70cl bottles for £20

D

My wife made Casis from black currants.
after 3 months filter off the liquid and make a crumble with the fruit !
gets you tipsy after a Sunday roast. Just don't feed it to the kids !

I would pal, I've used sloes which have gone the same way having been forgotten about in a freezer and the results were still good. And if it all goes wrong you can always take it to a BBQ next summer and put it on the "communal booze" table, where it will be heartily devoured by any teenagers present.

I would pal, I've used sloes which have gone the same way having been forgotten about in a freezer and the results were still good. And if it all goes wrong you can always take it to a BBQ next summer and put it on the "communal booze" table, where it will be heartily devoured by any teenagers present.
Thanks Tuck. :tiphat:

Back