Thread: If at first you don't succeed....

If at first you don't succeed....

Perseverance pays, it seems. I have been working on my Husqvarna 8x57 for some months now trying to get the sights regulated. The rifle came with a very high front sight and my guess was that is was regulated for the 196 grain bullet popular in the 1930's and 1940's. I started with the closest bullet I had: a 206 grain bullet.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	husky8mma.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	195.2 KB 
ID:	1785

With 48 grains of IMR 4350 it shot well for the first five rounds, but low. On the sixth round a piece of the stock behind the tang flew off. An examination of the stock with the action out found the stock split through the recoil lug and magazine and trigger mortises. I reinforced the recoil lug area and attended to other splits between the magazine and trigger mortises. I glassed in the tang piece and then fully glass bedded the action. All this was done in stages over an otherwise busy 5 or 6 weeks.

Last week I shot it with an increased powder charge, upping the charge from 48 to 50 grains of IMR 4350. With this charge weight it shot closer to the point of aim at 25M than the previous load. And it was accurate. Off hand I was shooting 1" at 25M.

Today I loaded 52 grain of IMR 4530 with the same 206 grain bullet. Two, three-shot groups overlapped at 25M with four cutting each other
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30M group Husky8RED.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	1784

Which I thought was pretty good for iron sights and a two stage military trigger.

At 100M it shoots 4.5" high, as near as I can tell. I shot a dangling bowling pin and hit it 4 of 5 at that distance and the bullet holes in the backer were about that distance above where I was aiming, in a 4" pattern. Again, this was off hand. Who knows how good it would shoot with a scope!

I hereby pronounce the rifle ready for deer season. I was thinking of backing the load off a grain but come cold weather, that will take care of itself.

I am happy. I have a really fine deer rifle ready for the hunt. It was well worth the effort. ~Muir

Dangling bowling pin ? Oh the memories came flooding back. So you finally fixed it well done you.

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Nicely done, nicely done. I gather these are cast bullets? Forgive the forgetfulness as I am sure we talked about this.

Cast bullets, indeed. I guess I forgot to mention that! (I was pretty tired last night) These are home cast and heat treated. Next stop is to fire them across my chronograph.~Muir

JAYB: I have a box of 'em with your name on it.

Note: I got a notice that my second Husky Model 640, 8x57 was shipped on Monday. It should be here on Tuesday. I'm out of town come Wednesday morning to see some family back east but when I get back, the fun will begin anew! Hopefully it will take less than 5 weeks to get this one sorted out! ~Muir