Reloading primed casses

musty

I have pulled the heads from some factory ammunition i no longer wantd to use. Can i just reload the primed cases or would it be best to neck size the cases befor i load them.

Thanks steve

Steve,

Depending on how confident you are that the neck has not deformed during the pull I'd be tempted to at least neck size them. In the process of course the pripers will be ejected. For about £3 a box and 15 minutes at the press I'm not sure it's worth not resizing.

I have thought about what you're suggesting previously. I'm not sure I'd be happy to shoot at something with a pulse when in the back of my mind I can hear a little voice telling me that if I'd taken a few more minutes.... will this go exactly where al the others have gone... Sounds a bit daft but that' how I am.

DC

I have pulled the heads from some factory ammunition i no longer wantd to use. Can i just reload the primed cases or would it be best to neck size the cases befor i load them.

Thanks steve

You could drop the decapping pin if the die you have allows it and then neck size for confidence

Cheers
Redneck

If its is ammunition have loaded and so you are sure the primer is OK I'd just remove your decapping pin and then just re-size the neck. You can even do this with standard FL dies as you probably know.

If it is ammunition that you have no previous knowledge of I'd do as others say and completely re-size AND de-cap.

Why?

Because the risk of a defective primer and a bullet lodge an inch up the barrel and all the nuisance of then getting it out isn't worth the £3.00 saved!

Seeing as you started with factory ammo, I'd say you'll be fine. Load them back up with a new bullet over an APPROPRIATE charge of powder, shoot a 3 shot group, adjust as necessary, a further 3 shot check group and go from there. Job's a fish.

scott:- a few variables to consider here, are the the heads that you have taken out, ie 100 gr being replaced by ones of the same weight ? if not you could end up with a "HOT" load. the heads that you will be using, will they be set back the same distance from the lands, probably not, because the ogive will be in a different place and you could end up with excesive chamber pressure, most factory loads are at the top end of the loading scale ! be wary, be safe ATB callie

Hi as said i would inspect the necks for deformitys but would think they will be fine. If so i would just reload them & test them out. As has been said about removining the decapping pin this is bad advice do not remove the decapping pin. It dosent only decap it rexpands the case mouth on the down stroke of the press to make the case mouth free from defects & size back after the crush in the die for an even case mouth .002thou samller than that of the bullet diamiter.

Hi as said i would inspect the necks for deformitys but would think they will be fine. If so i would just reload them & test them out. As has been said about removining the decapping pin this is bad advice do not remove the decapping pin. It dosent only decap it rexpands the case mouth on the down stroke of the press to make the case mouth free from defects & size back after the crush in the die for an even case mouth .002thou samller than that of the bullet diamiter.

What about dies where the expander ball can be left and just the decapping pin removed, i should have made that clearer maybe in my original post. I have dies that allow this and have used them in this manner with no problems whatsoever.

That was very quick Vmax to condemn something as bad advice, but i will be sure to be more precise in the future.

I agree with removing the pin. It's just the way it's done.

With regards to the powder: I would dump it unless using the exact same weight of bullet and then cautiously. Commercial powders are for the most part what is known as "cannister" powders. These are formulations not available to the public and for which there is no correlation to commercially available powders. Without exception, commercial hunting loads are loaded to maximum allowable pressures. (It is how they can boast performance figures) Adjusting these loads is dangerous and that means even the seating depth.

So, pull the pin, ditch the powder. My 2-cents worth.~Muir

What about dies where the expander ball can be left and just the decapping pin removed, i should have made that clearer maybe in my original post. I have dies that allow this and have used them in this manner with no problems whatsoever.

That was very quick Vmax to condemn something as bad advice, but i will be sure to be more precise in the future.

Hi yes very sorry you are correct in cases where the pin can be removed would be fine from what i know of it & as muir says ditch the powder from factory loads & load with your choice of powder/bullet etc.

i thinki will just neck size and load my own powder, will post if there are any issues.

steve

Back