Using binos on a high seat

Bavarianbrit

Just a method I have discovered over the years by trial and error.
When I move or need to swing around to look behind me while in a high seat I now ALWAYS put my left hand over the binos that are hanging from my neck (I am a right handed shooter) and press them onto my chest to stop them swinging about. I have had them bang against hard objects and spook game once too often.
A simple tip for newbies but an effective habit to get into.
Martin

Another good tip given on here a while back is to take the sling off as soon as you get in the seat/tower. Saves it getting in the way or clinking against the rail.

Another good tip given on here a while back is to take the sling off as soon as you get in the seat/tower. Saves it getting in the way or clinking against the rail.

Better still buy a quake they are rubber arround webbing and make no noise. By taking the sling off your rifle you may accidentally drop it then have problems returning your rifle to GL decending the ladder one handed.

Jimbo :doh:

I hope that advice does not come from experience? I have a Niggeloh sling which is fine but an old one of mine did have metal parts that would clink on the bar. Fair comment though. Remember not to drop rifle.

I hope that advice does not come from experience? I have a Niggeloh sling which is fine but an old one of mine did have metal parts that would clink on the bar. Fair comment though. Remember not to drop rifle.

Hi Woodmaster

No it wasn't me but a pal that took his sling off knocked it out of the highseat and dropped his rifle while decending one handed slipped on a rung and to save himself from falling he dropped his rifle and bust the stock. A lesson hard learned.

Jimbo

Bet he doesn't take sling off now. I do find these little tips useful though. We all have certain ways of doing things and sometimes never think of any other way, so keep good idea's coming guys.

I never carry my rifle up to (or down from) a high seat - getting in underneath the front rail 15ft in the air with a rifle on your back ain't fun.

I always leave the rifle in the slip, tie 20ft of light cord to it, get myself up and settled in the high seat and then haul the rifle up (to one side of the high seat - so well clear from any possible knocking).

When the rifle is removed - sit on the slip?

Reverse the process for getting down - but make sure the slip is always hauled up and down butt end first so that the rifle cannot fall out?

Back