Sporting Rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Phipps

Hi Everyone,

I've been a member of this forum and one of the feature writers for Sporting Rifle for over 2 years now, my features are not technical, just hunting adventures.

Now this has taken me a while to decide to post this thread so please bear with me!

Everyone has a right to an opinion, but there seems to be excessive axe grinding going on here regarding Sporting Rifle and the Editor, I would like to ask Selena as a forum member and managing editor of SR to comment on the Editor's experience, character, writing ability and suitability to edit SR magazine?

Selena has joined this forum and on here she is the face of SR (Selena Masson Sporting Rifle). Some members have suggested that she is the one to put things right, I think it would certainly give her more credibility to the other members on here if she states what she actually thinks may be wrong if anything with SR or it's Editor.

Hopefully this is not too much to ask! Stalking Directory is a very informative website, the forum is a stalkers dream with a place for everyone, a simple question will always return a barrage of answers and help every time.

Cheers
Brian

Brian,

I'm really not sure where you want to go with this, but it seems to me that you are asking someone to critique one of their work colleagues on a public forum and I'm not sure that is fair. What on earth do you expect her to say? Apart from anything else, after her last reception on here it is unlikely Selena will want to make any further contributions on this forum and frankly I don't blame her.

I'd very much like her to be able to post freely on here and interact freely with the magazine's readership but I don't think pulling her through the rack again is going to achieve that.

If we really want to do the Sporting Rifle 'thing' again then I think it should be kept general, non-personal and constructive. Suffice to say, whatever happens we aren't going to let this degenerate into another Sporting Rifle lynch mob.

If I've misunderstood the purpose of this thread then please do set me straight! :D

Alex

I can't help thinking that the OP should have discussed this with the forums admin team before posting!!!

Agree with CSL. It's madness to ask someone to comment on a colleagues ability on a public forum where a significant number of people have, to be fair, slated the magazine! I really cannot see what good could come from doing so. Unless there is a conspiracy / plan going on at SR HQ?

There have been many suggestions on how this mag can be improved. Perhaps Selena and the OP would do well to stay away from this subject on the forum and consider them before discussing this particular subject on here? Just my two penneth....

OK Brian,

I was one that started a post about SR and will be writing to the magazine about it. Have only just got a WP package on this new machine installed not 15 minutes ago so now I can write it. Will save it to disk so I can print it off. No printer on this one, W7 you know :rolleyes: the scanner won;t work no drivers as yet, the printer the same progress. darned system didn't even have an e-mail package so trying to get one to work with it now.

OH Windows 7 is so easy ................................................................................................... Don't you believe it!

here we go again,lets wait for people with hidden agenda's to get the knives out yet again,theres no dought SR is an informitive mag and the editor Peter Carr obviously has extensive experience in many forms of hunting.
Peter Carr,you eithier like him or hate him but you have to give it too him being in this business for 20 years,if he was that bad as certain people try to make out Iam sure he would have been gone years ago.
he a likeable rouge but he has had a reputaion for stealing wifes and girlfreinds,but I understand hes now settled down.
as its been already said if you dont like the mag dont buy it,but I personally think most of the back stabbing comes from the good green eyes monster

I think Brian has a point most people when they take on a new job or job title will need to put together an action plan on how they will be working to improve what every they have been given the job in what there forward plans are etc etc etc and i know if i wanted a small bit of help in this i would but out a few surching questions to as many deerstalkers shooters as i possibly can.
JMHO.

As Alex (CSL) has already said, HOW can you ask someone to criticise a working colleague on an open forum :doh:.

I am getting rather tired of people starting threads up again, that have been locked just to raise the same questions over and over again. Banning is always an option ;)

Can we have a close season on Sporting Rifle for a few months? It has improved markedly since Selena became involved, and people are now starting to receive their promised crates of ale for writing "letter of the month", so let's give her a chance.

Last edited:
I don't read Sporting Rifle, have no opinon about its staff and have no feelings about it as a publication one way or another.

I am, however, getting bored of seeing constant posts about it though. Surely if you dont like it, dont read it and move on.

I know im a newby and maybe my opinion doesnt have the clout some of the more experienced stalkers have, i enjoy reading the SP and look forward to its publication each month. If people dont like it dont buy/read it, if there is a flaw in an article have your say and see what comes back.......

Brian,

like others have said I am getting tired of stupid posts about Sporting Rifle and even more tired of personal attacks. If you work with someone and you want to know something is not the easy thing to do just ask them. I was going to make comment about how it seems that you are just trying to stir things up, and how it looks as if there is some sort of hidden agenda, but I won't. However could you please just let it drop.

John

I ask the question are any of us bothered and want to give an opinion anyway:)

I dont and I certainly have no idea what this rag mag churns out anyhow:D

I know im a newby and maybe my opinion doesnt have the clout some of the more experienced stalkers have, i enjoy reading the SP and look forward to its publication each month. If people dont like it dont buy/read it, if there is a flaw in an article have your say and see what comes back.......

my thoughts exactly

MMMMMMM.....Strange one this. It looks to me that there is a little :stir: going on here. Selena I am sure is professional enough to not make any comment. I would imagine that if she didn't like Peter or his work, she wouldn't be involved with the magazine at all.

Brian, I would be surprised if one of your articles ever gets read between the SR cover again.

Not the best thread to pick up on....:cuckoo:

I must be getting old, i really don't understand the fixation with this Selena and the fact that she's a member on this forum. It's not like i've ever noticed her using the forum as her soapbox or even express a strong point of view. Good god, you don't think she joined in the belief that she could actually just chat with others about an activity she's interested in - surely she joined to hatch her master plan and take over the world ? ;)

Everyone has a right to an opinion, but there seems to be excessive axe grinding going on here regarding Sporting Rifle and the Editor, I would like to ask Selena as a forum member and managing editor of SR to comment on the Editor's experience, character, writing ability and suitability to edit SR magazine?

Selena has joined this forum and on here she is the face of SR (Selena Masson Sporting Rifle). Some members have suggested that she is the one to put things right, I think it would certainly give her more credibility to the other members on here if she states what she actually thinks may be wrong if anything with SR or it's Editor.

Brian,
Do i detect a degree of defensiveness concerning the magazine and the editor, himself? You believe that there's been a degree of axe grinding. Speaking for myself, i believe its more like the venting of frustration and saddness concerning the downward spiral of a once good magazine. One that i once subscribed to.
Why express here? Well your editor, Mr Carr didn't bother to respond when i wrote to him expressing my concerns and explaining why i had decided to let my subscription lapse. The sales woman obviously wasn't listening during the 1st nor the 2nd phone call when i explained why i didn't want to renew my subscription (no matter what offer) and that i was getting tired of the junk mail.

You state that some members here have suggested that she's the one to 'put things right.' Was it a suggestion or a hope that someone could? Anyway, if you don't know the job specs nor the roles people play in the organisation to which you are a member, i suggest you seek that information within that organisation. Here's a thought - why not ask Pete?

I'm dissapointed that you seem to have latched onto the fact that another member of your magazine is a member of this site. Also that you have encouraged other forum members to comment on her without most of us having any knowledge of her at all. Whay would have impressed me would have been you facilitating a method where we could have expressed our concerns, recommended articles and improvements to the magazine as grown ups. Much more productive than using the forum to sling mud at each other.

However, now that there seems to be someone from the magazine that is actually listening to at least some of the opinions expressed i for one will take the oppertunity to send my contribution to the last 'axe grinding' session to Brian in the hope that he can do what i couldnt - have P. Carr take note of one of my communications. Perhaps he could register to the forum himself and invite us, his current or former readers into a debate?

Marc

I must be getting old, i really don't understand the fixation with this Selena and the fact that she's a member on this forum. It's not like i've ever noticed her using the forum as her soapbox or even express a strong point of view. Good god, you don't think she joined in the belief that she could actually just chat with others about an activity she's interested in - surely she joined to hatch her master plan and take over the world ? ;)

Brian,
Do i detect a degree of defensiveness concerning the magazine and the editor, himself? You believe that there's been a degree of axe grinding. Speaking for myself, i believe its more like the venting of frustration and saddness concerning the downward spiral of a once good magazine. One that i once subscribed to.
Why express here? Well your editor, Mr Carr didn't bother to respond when i wrote to him expressing my concerns and explaining why i had decided to let my subscription lapse. The sales woman obviously wasn't listening during the 1st nor the 2nd phone call when i explained why i didn't want to renew my subscription (no matter what offer) and that i was getting tired of the junk mail.

You state that some members here have suggested that she's the one to 'put things right.' Was it a suggestion or a hope that someone could? Anyway, if you don't know the job specs nor the roles people play in the organisation to which you are a member, i suggest you seek that information within that organisation. Here's a thought - why not ask Pete?

I'm dissapointed that you seem to have latched onto the fact that another member of your magazine is a member of this site. Also that you have encouraged other forum members to comment on her without most of us having any knowledge of her at all. Whay would have impressed me would have been you facilitating a method where we could have expressed our concerns, recommended articles and improvements to the magazine as grown ups. Much more productive than using the forum to sling mud at each other.

However, now that there seems to be someone from the magazine that is actually listening to at least some of the opinions expressed i for one will take the oppertunity to send my contribution to the last 'axe grinding' session to Brian in the hope that he can do what i couldnt - have P. Carr take note of one of my communications. Perhaps he could register to the forum himself and invite us, his current or former readers into a debate?

Marc
I have to agree with your "fixation" statement,I wonder if Selena was a man what the comments would be ???
anyway i subscribe and enjoy the mag,since Selena had been a contibutor I havnt seen any change at all,both of her articles have been well written but none where anything to do with hunting,I look forward to future articles,

It's only a magazine. Buy it or dont. Read it or dont. Can't see what the problem is!!:rolleyes:
+1 here.
I'm sick of all this can't we move on.
I advertise there and do well from it(so i'm biased) but now new writers are having a go its on the up.
It costs a few quid about 2 rifle cartridges for good factory stuff.
either practice x2 more a month or have a read and a bit of fun.
LIFES TO SHORT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back