Dual Purpose Round?

beechessam

Hi, I use a Tikka .243 and to date have used Norma 100 grain rounds for everything and have been very happy, but now need a round that I can use on Fox but capable on Roe and Muntjack. So looking for something a bit smaller. Any thoughts and advice would be welcome.

If you reload, try Hornady 87grn HptBt with 40grns of H380 and a mag primer. I've used that combination in my Remmy for years and have found it a very accurate and potent round.

I would stick with your 100s they are fine for everything you mention, you might also find them less damaging on the carcass than a lighter bullet

Yup stick withthe 100 grn bullets. What I would recomend doing through is to shop around and try out differnet makes. Have found that my .243 like speer bullets. The normal 100 grn sp are good as well.

what ever you do just stick to the same bullet. the 100grain bullets are a bit looped in their tragectory but if you know where that bullet is going at what ever range you want to shoot at, it dont make a difference.

Ahhh the translation is probably that the 100 grainers in the .243 are not moving at least at 3500fps and anything under that is too slow to give flat shooting :lol:. It's not a new afliction after all Sir Charles Ross was so inflicted and that's what led to the .280 Ross in 1906 likewise Charles Newton was also inflicted ;). The old keeper I used to stalk with claimed 2800 fps was about right as it dropped them well withough the carcarse being all bloodshot.

Possibly the best behaving bullet I've used in the 243 is the 80gr sierra varminter.
Boat tail design soft point. It does not behave like a varminter at all, more like a hard' ish
soft point with good penetration. Way less damage than the 100gr remington core lock.
edi

If you reload, try Hornady 87grn HptBt with 40grns of H380 and a mag primer. I've used that combination in my Remmy for years and have found it a very accurate and potent round.

This is what I use and works well for me.

Ahhh the translation is probably that the 100 grainers in the .243 are not moving at least at 3500fps and anything under that is too slow to give flat shooting :lol:. It's not a new afliction after all Sir Charles Ross was so inflicted and that's what led to the .280 Ross in 1906 likewise Charles Newton was also inflicted ;). The old keeper I used to stalk with claimed 2800 fps was about right as it dropped them well withough the carcarse being all bloodshot.

Thanks Brit, that'd be it then, trajectory like a rainbow obviously :doh:

Simon

That's right flytie - add the .270 and the .222 to that Simply terrible ! A really HORRIBLE family of cartridges if you take the Norma 50 grain .222, then the Norma 100 grain .243 - then the Norma 130 grain .270. Zero at 100, a drop of approx 1.5" - 2" at 200; eleven inches at 300.

I loved them all. It was good to use any of the three in the APPROPRIATE situation and not have to wonder - apart from windage - where the bullet was going to drop.

But leg pulling aside, occasionally a bullet is located which does better in some rifles than others. Nosler make a bullet in .243 (6mm), which is too light to meet the weight required for red deer, but they are mustard killers. Remington used to turn out a cartridge with a hollow point bullet in .243 which was deadly accurate - and deadly in reaction if it struck any neck bone. (But that is also too light for Reds by today's standards.) What the Noslers in Ballistic Tip would be like on small bodied mature deer I just do not know, but they were certainly sure killers on Red calves.

Back