Moving a large timber highseat

mel

Just thought I'd post these pics of how we moved a rather heavy wooden highseat over 2 fields by pushing it. Whole task took less than an hour.

The wheels (inflatable wheelbarrow wheels) were from the local farm supply shop but Screwfix do some similar. The axles were a couple of 150mm M12 bolts with a fair few washers used as spacers between the wheel and woodwork. It worked a treat.

Sadly, I forgot the small spanner needed to remove the seat and backrest, otherwise we could have folded the legs together to make it even easier to move.

highseat-move1.JPGhighseat-move2.JPGhighseat-move3.JPG

The last panorama photo is the view of the field it now covers.

highseat-vista-grey.jpg

Now we just need to find a way to hook it safely to a tow bar and it'd be even quicker to move :D

Just a small critique.
The space between the 2 verticals looks to me to be quite wide and I do see a lot of these 2 man high seats here in Germany having had an extra vertical member in the middle fitted behind and nailed/screwed to the cross treads to take the higher leverage if standing in the middle.
Take maybe 10 minutes to modify & saves risking a broken leg.
An old engineer talking.
Martin

Martin - That's not a bad idea as it does bounce a bit in the middle of the steps.

Might also be the ideal place to fix the previously mentioned towing eye :D

Back