I thought l'd share this with the English shotgun admirer's:

Tommo

I popped over to a farm which l shoot to see what the state of play was with the second cut - i'm wanting to get some more truck-lamping done to earn a few quid for some more .22 Eleys! (Grass is near dead - so i’m good to go!)

Whilst discussing this with the owner he asked if l would take a look at his old 12bore and see if l can get the crap out of the barrels quote 'the barrels are shitted up boy and with it sat in the cupboard covered in dust l'd like it to be cleaned properly'

So off he went to their pantry, and fetched out this sbs that was covered in crap/mud and did not look to good at all. I took it home -didn't look at it till this evening and to my surprise it a George Gibbs 'Best' Sidelock. After a dammed good clean she's looking good, barrels are perfect inside with a little wear on the outside, and all the woodwork is knocked about but the wood is exceptional! Just looked on guntrader for an idea as to it value - (there's only one sidelock Gibbs on there, 4K - cased!

Some people don’t know what’s beneath their noses!

Tom

Last edited:
I popped over to a farm which l shoot to see what the state of play was with the second cut - i'm wanting to get some more truck-lamping done to earn a few quid for some more .22 Eleys! (Grass is near dead - so i’m good to go!)

Whilst discussing this with the owner he asked if l would take a look at his old 12bore and see if l can get the crap out of the barrels quote 'the barrels are shitted up boy and with it sat in the cupboard covered in dust l'd like it to be cleaned properly'

So off he went to their pantry, and fetched out this sbs that was covered in crap/mud and did not look to good at all. I took it home -didn't look at it till this evening and to my surprise it a George Gibbs 'Best' Sidelock. After a dammed good clean she's looking good, barrels are perfect inside with a little wear on the outside, and all the woodwork is knocked about but the wood is exceptional! Just looked on guntrader for an idea as to it value - (there's only one sidelock Gibbs on there, 4K - cased!

Some people don’t know what’s beneath their noses!

Tom

What did he have to say when you told him of your findings? Or did you offer to give him your new Baikal to replace his old musket:lol:

Just one caution with that old Gibbs. Have it checked before you use it. Not the nonsense about it being "in proof" or not but as to barrel wall thickness. That is what is critical not that it is stamped "12" but actually measures .740". I've seen too many good "best" guns that have barrels so thin that they would "rivel" if actually shot.

Gents,

He's one of those whiley of buggers that'll probably know what its worth - but probably doesnt care!

ES, i know what you are saying - i had issues of this kind with a Lancaster's damascus barrels a while back...totally unshootable...This is used every week though - and looking at the bores its as clean as a whistle!

I will advise him to get it checked though -

Tom

Back