Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Deer Rifle

The Ultimate Deer Rifle

Reading posts on all kinds of aspects of a deer rifle , triggers, actions, calibres, etc.....
    I'll open a new discussion. What is your ultimate deer rifle? Not a rifle to shoot foxes or to shoot flies of the Mount Everest, just for stalikng deer. A rifle that you carry yourself a whole week in 2 feet of snow over the hardest Scottish hills after hinds, a rifle to kill a stag a few months earlier on the same place and a rifle to shoot a roe, fallow,sika or whatever from a highseat another part of the year. All with 1 rifle. Calibre of no importence, everybody has his taste. Just things like lenght, weight , moderator?,bipod, barrel lenght, etc......... I'll start : a 2.8/2.9 kg rifle ( maybe a sauer 202 outback) with a 20/21 inch barrel , a quality 2.5-10X50 scope Swarovski,Kahles, two 5 round magazines and a good bipod. Ready to go at approx. 3.8 kg

Mannlicher luxus mountain in .308win Zeiss 3-12 X50, 20" barrel , no moderator around 3.2 kilo Ready to go

I have it IMHO.
    After 21+ years and many guns/scopes.
    A sako75 finlite 6.5x55 (or 7mm08) optilock rings and bases NO mod but a brake and a quality german/austrian scope either 3-9x42 or 2.5-10x50 3-12x50.
    Mine weighs 81/4lb loaded and ready to go.
    Last edited by www.yorkshireroestalking.; 13-07-2010 at 10:09.

I've now got my dream rifle, Sauer Mod 90 7x64 and Swaro 2-12 x50 I.R Haven't weighed it but it just sits right on my shoulder and comes up to aim a dream. With the scope removed ( swing off mounts) it handles even better so I'm currently re-inventing the wheel and practising open sight shooting. For a light rifle in a moderately pokey calibre it does a good job of managing recoil in a straight line without too much muzzle flip. No moderator or brake due to open sights.

Scout rifle, nuff said.

Any rifle YOU like as long as YOU like it and its LEGAL and it does what YOU want it to simple as that !!!!!

It's a good topic this. My answer is that I really don't know what I want which is why I keep changing my guns all the time!

In a world where money didn't matter I'd probably go for something like a high grade Sauer 202 with a shortish barrel, compact moderator and some decent German optics. Nothing madly fancy as I feel that a rifle should always be for using rather than to admire. It wouldn't hurt to have a touch more class than my BRNO offers but if I was to buy something like a H&H or Purdey I doubt I'd want to use it?

Established Poster
    The New Forest, Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by matt458 View Post
    Scout rifle, nuff said.

Do you use a low power, high field of view, forward mounted scope (a la Jeff Cooper), or a conventional scope?

And which Scout rifle? Steyr?

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Q. The Ultimate Stalking Rifle??

A. Anything with me behind it