.243 rifle with cmm4 moderator

david1976

I have noticed that when using .243 factory federal ammo in 80g and 100g the grouping is rubbish at about 1 - 1.5 inches at just over 100 yards.

I would like to know for those that use the same calibre / moderator combination, what loads/recipes do you use and what groupings can you achieve?

Cheers this will help me decide what home loads to aim for.

David

I have noticed that when using .243 factory federal ammo in 80g and 100g the grouping is rubbish at about 1 - 1.5 inches at just over 100 yards.
David

What's rubbish about that? Yes, it could be tighter but a rifle delivering a 2" group is still capable of putting all it's shots into a muntjac's kill zone at just over 200 yards.

cheers, ill give it a read.
The cmm company recommend not using 100g boat tail ammo or plastic tipped bullets amongst others.
As i'm going to start homeloading, I was wondering what others used to see if i could narrow down choices

What's rubbish about that? Yes, it could be tighter but a rifle delivering a 2" group is still capable of putting all it's shots into a muntjac's kill zone at just over 200 yards.

If i'm completely honest, its a newish rifle I just bought this year and I cant group as tight as I could with my previous rifle. I know im not a bad shot so I know there will be a better combination to put through my gun. Its a confidence thing I suppose, if I can get a smaller group, I will be more confident when it comes to shooting a live target or at slightly greater distance. From personal experience I shoot better when im confident in my set up.

I have a .243 sauer with a T8 moderator and it does nt like Federal ammunition. I will nt use anything but federal in my 30-06. But in the .243 100g Normas give me a much tighter group.(less than half a inch a 100M)

David,

I have a .243 AI, Sako 75 Semi Custom with CMM4 A Tec, I use Norma 100 Grain Noslers as standard .243's to start with they where grouping at .5" then have been home loading the AI's with 70 Grain Noslers BT's these are fantastic, 3 shots at 100m will be touching each other and there performance on Roe and Fox is exceptional...

Hope this helps...

ATB

Alex

Back