Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Deer Tongue

  1. #1
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,035

    Deer Tongue

    When I was a lad I can remember my mother making her own tongue in an aluminium press, the had to do those kind of things just after the war when food was short and all left overs went into stock for soups so nothing was left inc the marrow in bones etc.
    Obviously something not practiced as much today but needs must in those days.

    Has any member of the forum ever made their own pressed deer tongue and if so what does it taste like?

    Stu

  2. #2
    Regular Poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    dumfries & galloway
    Posts
    360
    Blog Entries
    1
    no stu i aint tasted it, but theirs a great looking lass works in the village butchers and iv been dying to pluck up the courage to go in and ask her for tongue
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannlicher_Stu View Post
    When I was a lad I can remember my mother making her own tongue in an aluminium press, the had to do those kind of things just after the war when food was short and all left overs went into stock for soups so nothing was left inc the marrow in bones etc.
    Obviously something not practiced as much today but needs must in those days.

    Has any member of the forum ever made their own pressed deer tongue and if so what does it taste like?

    Stu

  3. #3
    I have a mate down south whos boss makes pressed tounge from deer tounges.
    Nevver tasted in though.

  4. #4
    Never tasted it, but did have a Gamedealer, in the 80s who was paying 1 each for Red deer tongues, so must have been an interest in them.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by calmac View Post
    no stu i aint tasted it, but theirs a great looking lass works in the village butchers and iv been dying to pluck up the courage to go in and ask her for tongue
    great looking lass - can I help you sir?

    calmalc - A pounda fillet

    great looking lass - A pound you don't
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

    Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

  6. #6
    Regular Poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    dumfries & galloway
    Posts
    360
    Blog Entries
    1
    ... the amount of crap that gets put into some hamburgers, hot dogs & kababs etc i bet most of us on here have eaten tonge and a few other funnies that we dont know about..
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    great looking lass - can I help you sir?

    calmalc - A pounda fillet

    great looking lass - A pound you don't

  7. #7
    Not sure what "pressed tongue" is but I do eat tongues. Not too often as has been diagnosed with diabetes and all the pluck is quite rich in carbohydrates... liver especially... but, from time to time I prepare a stew from kidneys, heart and tongue. If you want to use tongue boil it for a bit first, remove the skin, and slice it. If you use kindneys as well, boil them together with tongue and not forget to change water once or twice to remove smell and not too nice taste. Boil sliced tongue, kidneys and heart again (can use stock), add vegetables you like, I add onions, tomatos, paprika, etc. Add sour cream, salt, paper, etc when ready. Great food.

    ATB

    Greg


  8. #8
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,035
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    great looking lass - can I help you sir?

    calmalc - A pounda fillet

    great looking lass - A pound you don't


  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannlicher_Stu View Post
    When I was a lad I can remember my mother making her own tongue in an aluminium press, the had to do those kind of things just after the war when food was short and all left overs went into stock for soups so nothing was left inc the marrow in bones etc.
    Obviously something not practiced as much today but needs must in those days.

    Has any member of the forum ever made their own pressed deer tongue and if so what does it taste like?

    Stu
    Used to eat a lot of it. I can't find the press[somone probably borrowed it]
    It tastes fine, we used to use it for pieces.
    You just boil the tongue then remove the skin. simples

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by calmac View Post
    ... the amount of crap that gets put into some hamburgers, hot dogs & kababs etc i bet most of us on here have eaten tonge and a few other funnies that we dont know about..
    A good few years ago there was a bittova fuss about what was going into sausages. I seem to remember the old ww2 warning phrase of "Walls have ears" being used again.

    fraser

Similar Threads

  1. Shooting deer when lieing down.( The deer)
    By Duncs in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 177
    Last Post: 29-08-2010, 23:32
  2. Woodland Red Deer VS Hill Deer
    By matty in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 19-03-2010, 20:28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •