Paid for Stalking

WiltsPat

This is another one of my no doubt stupid sounding posts, but its Friday afternoon, Im stuck on a duller than dishwater conference call and the mind wanders...:lol:

All my stalking thus far has been on my own ground so this has not been a consideration before but I have recently been offered some paid for cull days. The question is when you pay £X to go out stalking do you get to keep the carcase or are you paying for the pleasure of shooting a beast for someone else?

I expect a certain amount of ribbing for asking this question in an open forum so have at it chaps!!

Pat

You are paying for the stalk and shot, carcasses are rarely included although most people will be happy to sell, normally at the going dealers rate.

If i take anyone out i charge for the stalk if they shoot a deer thats fine if they dont for what ever reason thats fine as well if no deer are seen that outing no charge at all. Venison charge for a roe deer £30 if they dont take a deer home they get the chance at a processed meat pack at £10 = 4 roe steaks + 4 x 1/4 burgers + 6 x slice of lorne sausage and a few medalions from saddle.

If i take anyone out i charge for the stalk if they shoot a deer thats fine if they dont for what ever reason thats fine as well if no deer are seen that outing no charge at all. Venison charge for a roe deer £30 if they dont take a deer home they get the chance at a processed meat pack at £10 = 4 roe steaks + 4 x 1/4 burgers + 6 x slice of lorne sausage and a few medalions from saddle.

That's a very good way to do business.

Its a long time since I paid for a days stalking as like you I control my own but when I did it was common practice to pay a outing fee and so much a point on the trophy head . A charge would be made if there was a missed shot on a beast or likewise if a carcass was damaged and if you wanted the carcass it would be sold to you at the going rate.

Things may have changed but thats how the Forestry Commision used to operate in the old days

Choc, That seems very fair and reasonable, good for you!

I am very lucky that I don't have to pay for my stalking; its all fallow and muntjac and I would like to try my luck with with a few more roe at some stage, so I guess I will have to bite the bullet pay up at some stage.

ATB

T

We all pay in away most of my stalking is free but is it really i give the landowner of one area a few bottles of vodka a year i give him a meat pack when every he wants normall a few times over the summer say three times a year. Then i gave him to full days of my time doing some silage cutting.Also took his lad out driving and done him a friends and family deal. I am also on call if a fox or two upset him. so all in all we all pay the piper in some way.;)

Not strictly stalking, but all our perms are vermin related, if we lose a piece of ground for any reason, we always have the mantra............... they will need us before we need them,& its always borne out to be true!........Phone call goes....Yeah we know your off the plot for X,Y, or Z, BUT! we need this fox or whatever seeing to!:cool:

When I stalk the Does and cull bucks the client gets the first carcase included.

When we're after trophy bucks they can take as many as they want. There is usually a surplus and the venison prices round here are nothing to get excited about! I'd be a bit embarrased to ask a client for x hundreds of pounds for a medal buck then tell him he has to buy the carcase!

Cheers,
Mark.

ps,
I pay a fortune for my stalking!

A ive learnt something new myself, hope to do some paid stalking when ( if ) i get my variation. Will be a novice at that aswell.

The deal we do with our land landowner is that all the fallow we shoot go to the dealers (with the exception of a few choice prickets we keep for the freezer) and the farmer gets the cash in full at the end of the season plus a few butchered fallow as and when he wants them. I think that pretty well amounts to free stalking (?). Were very happy with the arrangement!

T

Back