Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Houston we may have a problem!

Houston we may have a problem!

Ok heres what happened....

I was giving my ultrasonic cleaner bath another go today (found out this works really well with some Fairy Power Spray poured in). Having cleaned all of my brass i did my usual trick of putting it in a baking tray putting the oven on low and cooking it for 20 mins to dry it all out.

I then turned the oven off and walked away to let it cool down.

My wife walks in to the kitchen and decides its time to pre heat the oven for dinner and turns the oven on 250 and walks away.....

I come back in 30 mins later to find all of my brass is now purple. Am I screwed?

It may be OK, but I wouldn't trust it, time to buy some more.
    On the upside it should come out of the wife's shoe/handbag budget

thats a bugger , i wouldnt trust it either !

this is not a problem in my house , because letting my mrs near the cooker is fatal for ones health !

so im the chef !

cheers lee

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

I have been told that using the oven is not a great idea, now I know why!
    I dry mine over a 60w frost protection heater in the garage, I put a big metal plate over it (not on it) so quite a bit of the heat is buffered away, seems to work OK.
    Back to the point....................
    I would not trust the brass if it has changed colour!

What you (sorry your wife ) have effectively done is, to a degree, annealed the entire case which isn't good.

Any annealing whatsoever of the cartridge base is over-annealing and is dangerous. This area of the brass must retain the properties it had when it left the factory. If it is made the least bit softer, let alone "dead" soft, the stage is set for another shooter's nightmare. At the very least, you may get a whiff of hot gas directed toward your face. At the worst, you can be seriously injured as your gun behaves more like a hand grenade than a firearm.
    I once heard a tale of a gentleman who placed his brass on a cookie tray and placed the whole batch in an oven at 650 degrees for over an hour. He wasn't hurt--at least seriously. His attitude toward annealing is very negative.
    Whether or not 250 degrees C for 30 mins would be enough to take it into the danger zone I don't know... but is it worth finding out?

Give her a good telling off and make sure she pays for the next batch and a wee bit extra get her while she feels guilty

The colour change tells it all, the brass is scrap, to return the brass to it's original colour would require pickling with acid, but would still remain mechanically damaged.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Figured as much thanks chaps.

So I am now down to 10 from 150 odd cases....bugger

@csl Blame is a fluid thing its normally my fault so its her turn

"Where there's BLAME there's a CLAIM"
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

If you have a workshop and make things out of nothing - then such brass is useful as it's workable and hardens with work. Otherwise, if you have enough weight the 'scrappie' might accept it - crushed.

Its days for use in a rifle are finished. Kaput !