following on from legal in 2012

finnbear270

Anyone know if TD5's engines are happy on bio-fuel?........ just thinking about the mileage side of things related to tyres & the upcoming v.a.t. rise.

Finn:-best possible person to ask that I know is Shane Richins, hands on ,MD of Swadlincote diesels, Derby's, a longish way from you but the guy's a gem on diesels. I had a chat with him about derv fuel and he explained that modern derv has had most of the lubricants i.e. sulpher, etc, has been removed to make it "cleaner", one the worst being so called city diesel, his recomendation was " chuck some vegi oil in when you fill up," in what quantities I don't know, so it's Shane Richins tel 01283 222316, just a phone call away....callie

Have a look here:

http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/

I make my own biofuel (transesterification of wvo) and, provided the fuel is made properly, just about any diesel engine will run perfectly well on it. Mines done about 30k on 100% bio (thats cost me about 24ppl to make :) ) and the only thing I had to do is change the fuel filter after the first tank full as all the crud from the diesel tank is released by the bio and blocks the fuel filter. Ive changed the fuel filter one further time since that. I also change the engine oil every 6000 miles as the bio can degrade the engine oil faster than diesel.

Yes it will Finnbear,Just do as limulus says, change the filters.
You wont have a problem, Mates td5 ran perfect on it, not sure what mpg he got, but my RR used to do 35/36 to gallon on it compared to about 30mpg on diesel, and went better than on diesel IMO.

Typically you can expect a 10% decrease in economy, far offset by the cost savings. Most engines run quieter and emissions are far less with bio than dinodiesel.

Back