Foxing rig

Brough

Guys I have never owned a dedicated foxing rifle , The .243 has always done the job when the need has arose.
I am looking at a t3 tactical which I have pretty well made my mind up on , and really wanted to know what glass you chose for your foxing combo. I am not looking at NV but will be using on the lamp as well as during first light / last light . Having just had a spending spree in the last 6 months:eek: I will not be looking at the swarovski route. Cheers Brough

Brough , that's a shame................ perfect (for me), foxing rig, Swaro 4-12x50 Habicht sitting on a M595 TiIKKA in .223 Rem, shooting 52 grain A-max or 40 grain Nosler BT's N133 24.8 grains. none shall pass!:D............. glass used to be a 6x42 fixed Schmidt undt Bender, but these days my eyes need a little more help!:lol:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news mate but the secret to a great foxing rig is in the optics.
Buy german/austrian every time.
Mine wears a 3-12X56 Zeiss victory.
But I shot a fox the other evening at 10.27p.m. on an overcast evening with my 6.5 wearing a 3-12X50 S+B scope.
You have to see em and see em propley to kill em.
Also a scope which is repeatable dosen't loose zero when you zoom and will take a few bumps in the pick-up is a must.
Some scopes also don't like the recoil from moderated rifles.
Buy a German zoom and don't be disapointed.

Hi I use a schmidt and bender 6x42 on my 17 remington and am more than pleased with it, before the schmidt a simmons white tail 3.5x10x40 on my foxing rig got the job done on the cheap, but the glass of the s&b reallys makes the difference my advice would be get the best you can afford simple as that good luck!!!!!!:thumb:

I kinda had this feeling , maybe few less pennies on the musket and the difference on the glass . thats fine I can live with that . Just to add that the eyes need a bit more mag nowadays .

Last edited:
Hi I use a schmidt and bender 6x42 on my 17 remington and am more than pleased with it, before the schmidt a simmons white tail 3.5x10x40 on my foxing rig got the job done on the cheap, but the glass of the s&b reallys makes the difference my advice would be get the best you can afford simple as that good luck!!!!!!:thumb:
agreed but for a few more quid go for an 8X50/56

as already said the glass really does make a differnce as i think it has to work harder than when out stalking but i have always bought second hand, the scopes i buy are just as good as new but a fraction of the cost there is a ziess in the classified section which i think is a absolute bargin and will do the job for you fine if not then maybe a second hand meopta? just dont rush into anything tho as you seem to be doing the job ust fine with your .243

My fox/vermin rifle is a Tikka T3 Lite in .223 with Schmidt & Bender 3-12x50 with illuminated reticle.

Nice rifle the tactical. I really fancied one too but as I do most of my foxing single handed and on foot having to handle such a heavy lump whilst juggling a lamp and calls etc just wouldn't do.

Alex

I've used a S & B 8 X 56 and it's great, the light gathering of the 30mm tube is impressive.

But..... I've also just bought a Meopta scope. A 3 -12 x 56 30mm, It's a bit more expensive than my Schmidt glass (£650 from Lock Stock and barrel) but, it's light gathering is better than the S & B. I confess I wasn't convinced when the gunsmith showed me it. But I'ver had both side by side at twighlight and the Meopta wins. I kid you not!

Both are attached to Tikka T3 lites using Optilok rings and mounts.

I have a 8x56 S&B on a .243 and a variable meopta on a .308 . both great scopes. However the eyes are needing a bit more mag nowadays.
I am well aware of the benefits of the light gathering properties of scopes in the upper end of the market , and am more intrested in the magnification people were using . Thanks for the replies folks .

Thanks John thats exactly what I need so it looks like 50-56 mm objective and 12x mag should suit my needs nicely.

I have to say quality glass every time.

My rig is a Tikka T3 Hunter Deluxe in .22-250 topped with a Kahles 3.5-10x50 in Sako Opti-Loc Rings topped off with a T4 mod, as long as I do my bit Charlie is dead out to 250 yards every time. :D

Chris

Took another fox off the shoot last night off the first barley stubble.
Time 10.28p.m. no lamp range 228m's. 22250 zeiss victory set on X9.
I carried on glassing the field till 11 could still see shapes through my Zeiss binos but wanted some supper.
No lamp was used just twilight and the light coloured stubble.
I would honestly say most other scopes would have been done by 10.

i use a weaver 3-9-50 of my cz american .223, together with federal 55g soft points. and it loves foxes day or night :cool::D

Well guys thanks a lot for all the imput, I am skiving work and going shopping tomorrow so will let you know how it goes :lol:

Back