Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 x 284

6.5 x 284

anyone use the 6.5 x 284 for stalking i know its a good target rifle,just wondered what the pros and cons of such a rifle .
    was thinking of a 6.5 x 55
    any infor would be good.

Tolley, Have only heard of your round. I looked on Google and keyed in the round and came up with this site.
    It is a bit military orientated but has a lot of information. I have two stalking rifles in 6.5x55 and the 284 with 142 grain bullet seems to have very similar ballistics to mine with 120 grain.

Hope this helps.

My mate is on his second one. Performance is pretty similar to the 270, it is a flat shooting calibre that would work well on the hill or with heavy bullets. If you are using 120gns then a 260 or 6.5X55 will not be far behind it, but as the bullet weights increase then the 284 comes in itís own.

Best rgds

just found this one on border barrels, 8) looks a bit of a weight to take stalking,but nice.
    sounds from talking to others its a bit of a barrel burner.

I haven't but there was an article in Sporting Classic a couple of years ago that I remember about a Serengeti Rifle in 6.5-284 Norma.

Is the link to page. Very nice looking rifle.

My wallet won't stretch to one - but am thinking about getting a barrelled action and then stocking it myself probably in 7x64.

Heym SR20

i know its a bit like how longs a piece of string,but what a good weight for a stalking rifle.
    looking at the 3rd one down on the border barrels link they look two heavy.
    the lighter the rifle the more you feel the recoil.?

Tolley - I would look at an all up weight (Rifle plus Scope) of around 7.5 to 8lbs. Light enough to carry all day long - and lets face it for most of its life a rifle is just a weight to carry - but also enough weight to help steady when taking a shot.

In terms of recoil - School boy physics says that increase in weight equals less recoil energy. Energy is a function of mass times velocity squared, but recoil is set up by an equal and opposite reaction to the momentum of the bullet / powder and gas going in the other direction. This is a function of mass times velocity. Thus for the same cartridge the heavier the rifle the less recoil energy you will feel.

But recoil and how it is felt is also directly a function of how the cartridge produces its energy - High velocity cartridges often have a very snappy recoil - a sharp jab - the .270 win has a bit of a reputation for this, where as a slower round - say the .308 has more of a shove than a kick.

And stock shape - the best is a stock that fits well and brings recoil straight back. And about the most uncomfortable rifle to shoot is the old .303 lee enfield - but put a decent stock shape on it and it is pretty pleasant.

And you will always feel more recoil and noise when shooting prone off a bipod, or from a bench at a target. Take a shot at a beast and you won't notice it.

Heym SR20
    do the wood stock work better than the synthetic with recoil?,just wondered

It depends. I have shot synthetic stocked rifles (custom remingtons and sako 75 synthetics) and they always seem to me to resonate when shot.

Personally I much prefer the look and feel of wood and if I was going for an all weather / stainless rifle I would lean towards a wooden laminate rather fibreglass stock.

Also Fibreglass will generally be lighter in weight to wood - and that lack of weight is probably more of a contributor to recoil than anything to do with the material.

To be honest I would think that provided you go for a fairly standard deer cartridge - 243, 6.5, 7mm or .30 at non magnum velocities felt recoil is probably six of one and two threes and differences are probably more to do with weight / brand of rifle than anything else.

My Heym SR20 in 243 doesn't recoil very much - classic straight stock and 8.5 lbs all up, but have also used a friends Ruger lightweight mountain rifle 6.5lbs and short stock as well and heavy trigger and certainly seems to jump around. Likewise another friend has a Sako 75 also in .243 and a bit lighter in weight, but it has a Monte Carlo stock and rather than recoil straight back it seems to kick upwards a bit more.

I once shot a heavy barreled Tikka in .308 - but they way the scope was mounted it wacked me between the eyes on the first shot - and that hurt.

If you are at all worried about recoil - get a .22 rf as well and shoot it a lot, and if you are having a practice session shoot it first, have a few shots with the centre fire and then finish off with .22 rf- that way your muscle memory will remember the low recoil and you will not develop a flinch / fear of recoil.

And practice shooting off sticks as you would in the field, rather than off bipod or bench.

thanks for all the infor Heym SR20.
    i must agree wood does feel/look better.

are 6.5x284 reloading bits easy to get ?

the rifle i mentioned above is 7kg with out scope.