Digital fox caller?

Munty1

I am thinking in investing in a digital fox caller as Ihave a bit of foxing to do this year. In the past I have used the back of my hand or a bit of polystyrene on the window of my truck but I have heard some good reports about these electronic calls. Does anyone have knowledge of these and what would be the best type to purchase and maybe where from?

for what my opinion is worth im not a fan of them at all ive only ever seen them in action once and that was enough they just didnt work on any of the foxes we tryed them on. there was just to much choice, the bloke who owned it was trying all sorts of weird and wonderfull calls on one fox and i lent out of the cab and it came flying in to a normal hand sqweak first try. maybe i just had a bad experience with them but i would save your money as if you practice you can do a lot of tricks sqweaking by hand that a machine just wont do.

foxpro are excelant on any predator! and are great as you can set them up 50 metres away !

this cat was called in in december, and had a broken canine so it was strugling to hunt ,unlikely to have made it through the winter!
it came in within 30 seconds to a distress call! unusual for cats as they normally take a long time to come in! 2-3 hours which is tough in -30temps

Last edited:
As I may have mentioned else where before it is also possible to download all sorts of calls for your cell phone from the intraweb that are the same as the ones you get on the digital fox callers. The only real restriction is the volume of the speaker on your phone.

My Crackberry has a surprisingly good speaker and has pulled in foxes for me on a number of occasions.

Normally however I just use a WAM as the Crackberry has a nasty habit of going off in my pocket at extremely inconvenient moments (at the checkout queue in the petrol station, both I and the woman in front of me almost had a heart attack when the Jack Rabbit in Distress call screamed out of my trousers :lol:)

Are you sure?

Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. Section 11, part d.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1981/pdf/ukpga_19810069_en.pdf

As far as I can see there have been no amendment acts to change it in this regard. Quite happy to be shown otherwise.

Section 5d - Prohibition of certain methods of killing or taking wild birds. ('sound recording' = electronic call!)

"uses as a decoy, for the purpose of killing or taking any wild bird, any sound recording or any live bird or other animal whatever which is tethered, or which is secured by means of braces or other similar appliances, or which is blind, maimed or injured"

Last edited:
Thanks for the section on birds. I agree it is illegal to use a sound recording for birds. I was making the point that sec.11 pt. d would appear to make that sound recording = electronic call illegal for any other species as well.

Thanks for the section on birds. I agree it is illegal to use a sound recording for birds. I was making the point that sec.11 pt. d would appear to make that sound recording = electronic call illegal for any other species as well.

Ok I see what you mean. The legal speak doesn't help but I think I'm right in saying that the difference is this:

For birds: "uses as a decoy, for the purpose of killing or taking any wild bird"

For animals: "uses as a decoy, for the purpose of killing or taking any such wild animal"

where 'any such' refers to the animals defined in 11 2(a)

"any wild animal included in Schedule 6"

Schedule 6 is badgers, bats, dolphins and the like, but not foxes, vermin etc.

As I understand it Deer are covered seperately by the Deer Act the most recent version of which is 1991

he he thats a great picture looks like one of those garfields you stick in the rear window
foxpro are excelant on any predator! and are great as you can set them up 50 metres away !

this cat was called in in december, and had a broken canine so it was strugling to hunt ,unlikely to have made it through the winter!
it came in within 30 seconds to a distress call! unusual for cats as they normally take a long time to come in! 2-3 hours which is tough in -30temps

Just reading your thread mate,with ref to electronic callers i supply the mini colobri which is what your looking for.
I have used this caller myself for years and will give a money back guarantee if it does not work for you.
Price for forum members is £150 plus p&p with a year warranty
Please check me web site click on the caller and you can listen to the sounds
thx mark

I've used a foxpro for quite a few years now and can say, hand on heart, that it's definitely worked on many occasions - seem to have the most success with the actual fox calls ie yell, response and distress/fight - it's uncanny how they can appear after 10 minutes and end up within 5-10 yards of the caller itself - their in-built laser guidance obviously works. I guess they must take a bearing as I've watched them walk out onto the field, get to a point and then change direction straight to it.

It's the 32 calls model but I guess I only use the fox and the other rabbit/hare/mouse distress calls so probably around 6 or 7 variations.

The biggest bonus is the remote control which means they're not coming in right on top of you - although I do put the call 'out to one side' so you're not actually in the line of sight of their approach having been bumped a couple of times. Best result was five in one evening, all within 5 yards of each other and I guess the whiff of blood also helped.

Have also used the fox yell to get a dog fox to sit long enough in the lamp for a long, long shot (301metres). Fox fight also winds up the Fallow, and the crows which in turn attracts any nosey fox that happens to be close.

Don't use it all the time,, if I feel it's not right, so as not to overdo it on the education side.

That's me 5p's worth,

ATB
FBW

Back