Has the rut started yet !

chill123

Can any one tell me if the rut has started yet , I am in the midlands and have seen no sign activity as yet .

Can any one tell me if the rut has started yet , I am in the midlands and have seen no sign activity as yet .

Saw a buck chasing yesterday, mid day, nice wet muggy thundery day, perfect weather for a buck this time of year. Would imagine a few bucks got nailed this morning

Bucks are wih yearling does here close bu no chasing seen yet.
All mature does I've seen are with their followers.
Will start to cut the rape next week will probably kick off then.

Also started in Berkshire, as per my write up in the Articles section. I also nearly witnessed a deer collission last night as a doe, closely followed by a youngish buck, sprinted across the A4 in front of a motorbike and a car. It was close and the biker must have looked like this :eek:!

No sign at all in Wiltshire despite much watching .Crops still very high dosnt help .Next weekend maybe .The only thing certain is that it will happen sometime .

In Lancashire; seen 2 bucks (shot one old six pointer) both with does this week but they weren't really showing much interest yet. The call didn't have the desired effect either. If this thundery warm weather carries on I reckon they'll be active next week.

may be a little early for the midlands for it really to be kicking off, might be a few about just starting to stir but not many from what i can see
where abouts in the midlands are you??

Chill123.
Yes its underway in SW Scotland. Last night had two minutes enjoyable entertainment with a reasonable buck chasing his lady. If we get some of the weather you guys are experiencing further south it may pick up. Next weeks weather should improve the situation. After the wet weather we have had everything will grow and grow and grow, then we'll not see a thing.

There's definitely something going on here. I seen 1 youngish buck chasing a doe at the side of the road then shot 3 bucks that were on their lonesome 2 nights ago. They must be getting a sniff for it :lol:

It was a right horrible night as well. I was soaked to the arse.

Just back in. First sign of rut behaviour in my area of the Scottish Borders this evening. What looked like a relatively young buck chasing a doe who would not stop for him. Then he stopped too far away for a shot!

Very little seen tonight but moon may have something to do with them not coming out as early, very bright here. I could not believe how cool it was though, down to 7 on car thermometer. Not really what you would call rutting weather.

Shot a buck the night after he had mounted a doe twice,so yes it has started,up in Morayshire beside Elgin,seen another buck an doe wi his Tongue licking at her,so it's definitely on,surprised it hasn't started further south to same extent yet,or has it,the moon does funny things to them

Seen a buck on Mon 19 th ,chasing a doe across the motorway just past cumbernauld ,unfortunately he was killed on same stretch next day,on wed 21st i saw a buck on the heels of a doe just outside stirling,so definately started in the central belt

may be a little early for the midlands for it really to be kicking off, might be a few about just starting to stir but not many from what i can see
where abouts in the midlands are you??
hi Stone im in north Worcestershire

I was lamping a field for rabbits the other night and started squeaking for any foxes as well. After 5 minutes I heard thundering hooves coming at me and whacked the lamp on for fear of being trampled by her ladyships horse. It turned out to be a doe being chased by a buck. The doe scarpered but the buck hung about, eventually circling me within 20 feet. In the end I yelled at it and it was off and away over yonder. If only I had the .243 and not the .17HMR....as I had 10 minutes left before the hour after sunset rule.....Surrey by the way.:eek:

Last night I watched a buck and doe mating in a corn field in Dorset. The buck was a middle aged animal (not particularly good) and I watched it chasing/following the doe for a while before mating with her three times at last light. So I guess the rut is on in our bit of Dorset

I watched a buck and doe chasing this morning at 09:30 in Fife.

They went all around the field and ended up passing my truck at 20 meteres, then carried on into the next field.

Mark.

Friday 23rd July Ayrshire, I was out at 4am waiting for the light and as soon as i could see a Buck and Doe were busy at it. I watched for a while until they finished and settled down both lying down 10yds from each other. I decided the old boy had had his oats so it was time for me to try a stalk. I had to crawl over 200yds to get into a shooting position and wait for what seemed ages for him to present a shot, he did and i did so a good buck down but only after he passed on his geans. I then started back up towards where i had intended being that morning only to see a young Buck 200yds away. I managed to get another 50yds before he also presented a broad side and at that i dropped him.

I saw another Doe on my way back to the vechicle but no Bucks were in attendance and apart from that it was a very quiet morning and had i not seen the old Buck with The Doe i would have said nothings happening yet.

Dalkur

Back