apel swing off mounts ...... what do you boys think ?

peeblesman

just bought a beautiful krico with apel swing off mounts but it keeps going off zero ....
help ? do i need a pair of static apel mounts ???

Mine never did -- over 20 years on a Steyr. check rifle + ammo combination by bore sighting. Could it be your scope? Is the rifle bedded in the stock correctly?
I would suggest to check your kit bit by bit.

Are the mounts set up correctly? Fitting a set of Apels is a bit more involved than slapping them on and twisting the scope in. I have a Sauer 202 which back up Goingback's comment. 15 years for me so far and never so much as a wobble.

12+ yrs on my 458 and not a single problem,but to set them up properly is a bit more involved than alot of people realise.
Once the`re set up you`ll never have a problem and won`t want to change them

As stated I have a set on both my 30.06 & 25.06 both Sauer 202, never had a problem with them. They do need setting up correctly

Mine were on my sauer 90 when I got it, so dont know about setting them up. But i can say that they retain their zero fantastically. I can even remove them and replace them a few times and the next time i come to shoot they're perfectly back on zero - I like them soooo much i'm trying to buy another set - but the prices are stupid at £395 - stick with them peeblesman, once you get them sorted you'll love them. If not there's a ready market for them (right here - pm me, but i wont hold my breath ........... laffin)

apel swing offs

thanks guys... i will strip down and check everything ... had a set of static apels years ago ... never any bother. so hope to sort this out. thanks to all who replied.

Apologies for hijacking this thread although it is related.... I'm currently away from my rifle (will be for another 2 weeks) but may have an option on a new scope, here's the question. My Sauer 200 came with Apel swing off mounts with a Swarovski 6 x 42. I'm in the market for a new scope, ideally with an illuminated reticle, that will likely have 30mm tube. Can I buy just a set of rings or will i need to start again? An obvious question for most probably but I can't be sure and it will obviously add to the price of any scope purchase. Sportsmans have the following: SM017 APEL Rings (High 30mm) will these do the trick?
I know the easiest solution would be to stick with a one inch tube but everything around I'm looking at (Swaro 8x56 or S&B 2.5-10x56) seem to be 30mm.
Thanks in advance,
T.

p.s. or should I go for something different such as Optilock rings and bases?!

Last edited:
Excellent, cheers for that. I thought it might be too simple! Now I need to find some although I need to find a scope first! Anyone willing to part with a Swaro with illuminated ret?!!!

Hi Peeblesman,

I have apel swing offs on my Krico and have never had a problem with them, always kept zero OK.

Good choice of rifle by the way, what cal. is it?

.270. Pretty pleased so far with some home loaded 130gn Honrnady Interbonds but haven't been able to get out much. Looking forward to seeing how effective they are once the Hinds come in to season.

Hi peeblesman
I had a problem with my apel swing offs just like you.
I found that two small Alan key screws, That take up the adjustment on the dove tails, was a tiny bit loose.
As soon as i put this right, I have had no more trouble.
Hope this is your problem, as very easy to put right.

Back