Elk Hunt

Andy, a "MOZZIE" is usually the descriptive for a Mosquitoe, but this term can always be used to complain about the presence of any flying biting /stinging nuisance, like the Scottish "MIDGIES" A tiny very irksome insect that has a tendency to arrive in billions & are at present under the microscope for a way to relieve us of their attentions, at least in some general way.

I think its one of these

but it may be one of these :)
Lim, the last airworthy Mosquito aircraft in Britain used to live in a blister hangar within sight of our bedroom balcony, it went down at an airshow not far from here, into "Black Wood" next to Barton aerodrome (Manchester) with the loss of the two aircrew, at an airshow, the approach of this machine, either in or out of the home strip was heralded by the unmistakeable throaty roar of the twin merlins, & the regular crew got used to giving me a wing rock as they passed our chimney pots low enough to be able to see their grinning faces (on base leg), this machine was a veteran of many film apearances, (633 squadron etc), & my eldest son when doing his trade tests from school was invited to inspect this aircraft along with his next best hopeful apprentice, along with a look at David Nivens signature in the bomb bay. A sad loss in more ways than one.

Lim, the last airworthy Mosquito aircraft in Britain used to live in a blister hangar within sight of our bedroom balcony, it went down at an airshow not far from here, into "Black Wood" next to Barton aerodrome (Manchester) with the loss of the two aircrew, at an airshow, the approach of this machine, either in or out of the home strip was heralded by the unmistakeable throaty roar of the twin merlins, & the regular crew got used to giving me a wing rock as they passed our chimney pots low enough to be able to see their grinning faces (on base leg), this machine was a veteran of many film apearances, (633 squadron etc), & my eldest son when doing his trade tests from school was invited to inspect this aircraft along with his next best hopeful apprentice, along with a look at David Nivens signature in the bomb bay. A sad loss in more ways than one.

When I was a boy I was obsessed with the DH Mosquito, I used to go to the old works at London Colney and hang around with the volunteers. I have a picture somewhere of me in my Scout uniform meeting HM the Queen Mother when she came to open a new hanger or something. In those days I could tell you all you wanted to know about the history, build, engines, missions etc. These days I can't remember what had for lunch! I remember enough to know that it was an amazing aircraft. The 'Wooden Wonder'. JC

I have somewhere's a rather sad video tape of the last moments of this aircraft, & also the next days newspaper with all the "details"!, eventually it was decided that a control surface (aileron or tab ) had malfunctioned, it is my unqualified opinion that it was pilot error, an obvious conclusion when watching the last moments of flight.This aircraft used to be reviled by the ground staff when on display dates, she would be run up with all the firecrews in attendance, & a certain pilot who must remain nameless here, would actually fly her through the buildings & other structures on the site at some considerable speeds, I also have some original photographs of her being dismantled on the grass to one side of the concrete runway after a novice display pilot got it wrong & ground looped her, they had to strip her completely in situ, & sourced new landing gear from the display aircraft hanging from the ceiling in a museum down south.

Back