Loaner Rifles

Muir

Living where I do I often get visitors interested in shooting and hunting. JAYB keeps his personal firearms at my home but others often use a "loaner" to avoid the cost and hassle of flying with a firearm. Do any of you ever run into this situation? (or is it even possible?) And if so, what school of thought do you use: Reserve a really fine rifle for the Guest, or Give them something that is plain and utilitarian? I have a small rack of decent loaner guns of different calibers and with varying accouterments but I have gotten stupid in the past and cast my pearls before swine. Any thoughts?~Muir

Last edited:
Muir,

I've borrowed estate rifles, which I guess are loaners, a few times in the past. Some pro guides have a rifle for guests which, in my limited experience, have been functional (stainless / synthetic) but high quality. Others have lent me their own rifles, which have been similar. Speaking from the perspective of the person borrowing the rifle, nothing gives greater confidence than the pro-stalker passing over either his own rifle or one that his clients use week in week out.

My most bizarre experience of a loaner was when I went on a CA Shotgun Skills course about 10 years ago. I was green to shotgun shooting back then and did the course before I got my own gun. The "loaner" I was given was a Berretta 20 bore which the coach said would suit my height and frame. I got on quite well with it.

It was only after we'd finished the days shooting that he told be it was an S0 9 and was worth about £15,000.

Cheers,

Bob

Living where I do I often get visitors interested in shooting and hunting. JAYB keeps his personal firearms at my home but others often use a "loaner" to avoid the cost and hassle of flying with a firearm. Do any of you ever run into this situation? (or is it even possible?) And if so, what school of thought do you use: Reserve a really fine rifle for the Guest, or Give them something that is plain and utilitarian? I have a small rack of decent loaner guns of different calibers and with varying accouterments but I have gotten stupid in the past and cast my pearls before swine. Any thoughts?~Muir

Just give them a well used rifle nothing to fancy, so not worried about a scratch or two, however the law I think is a little different here to use "the estate rifle" clause and loan the rifle to a non certificate holder you must own the land
be an employee of the landowner, or the occupier[ a person who has leased the land [ its against the law to make any charge for the use of the rifle in these circumstances, the person who borrows the rifle must be accompanied by the
owner employee etc, accompanied in this case means within sight or sound of the person borrowing the rifle.

It would be possible for a certificate holder to borrow a rifle but only if his certificate enables him to have that particular calibre, and the rifle make and serial number would need to entered on his certificate in advance

Estate Rifles

Gents

The "Estate Rifle" issue is a real legal minefield, there are lots of can't dos in this area, the main issue is that it must be listed as an estate rifle in order for it to be used & only when you the holder are on hand.

Again as already stressed no charge can be made for its use either, I have a Styer PH2 in 7mm/08 stainless synthetic with a Licenfield Scope.

Its a middle of the road cheep end rifle that works fine & does what is asked of it, I used to have a wooden Sako 75 but it got knocked about by guests which peed me off, so she was replaced with plastic/stainless.

Regs Lee

Clients if need be use one of my rifles, never charged for it.

I must admit , I have enlightened some European hunters on the use of the 22-250 as a roe cal.:lol: They are amazed that a rifle can shoot accurately and not bruise them:smug:

For reds it'll be whatever rifle I have at the time, normally a moderated 270, untill I pull my finger out it'll be a H&H 270, I prefer they use a 270 [for red] rather than a 243, especially now with mods, although a 7x57 would probably be my first choice as a guest rifle, easy to shoot & a hefty bullet.

As a guide/stalker it makes sense as if you have to take a secondary shot, it is with your own rifle.

Clients if need be use one of my rifles, never charged for it.

I must admit , I have enlightened some European hunters on the use of the 22-250 as a roe cal.:lol: They are amazed that a rifle can shoot accurately and not bruise them:smug:

For reds it'll be whatever rifle I have at the time, normally a moderated 270, untill I pull my finger out it'll be a H&H 270, I prefer they use a 270 [for red] rather than a 243, especially now with mods, although a 7x57 would probably be my first choice as a guest rifle, easy to shoot & a hefty bullet.

As a guide/stalker it makes sense as if you have to take a secondary shot, it is with your own rifle.

As usual, BambiSlayer has it spot on, I am very happy when a guest or cliet says that he doesn't have his own rifle and wants to use either one of my own or my estate rifle. At least I know that it is on the money and not going to let us down in some way. As for the idea of getting a cheap rifle because clients may damage or abuse it, my only comment is; get a grip of the client and teach them to handle the rifle properly! JC

Back