Different Licence?

SC243

In England, do you need a seperate licence for purchasing/holding smokeless powder for reloading rifle ammunition? Or is it covered on the FAC?

If you are anything like me you will have two or three tubs that you actually use and about ten tubs that are four fifths full but you don't really know what to do with! JC

Cheers people, I'm new to reloading and have just ordered the kit and supplies to reload some rounds. Just got back from the gunsmiths after ordering and was speaking to someone from N. Ireland who said they need an explosives licence to hold powder. As sure as I was that I wouldn't have been able to order it without the licence, I did have a small moment of wondering what if?? I have only ordered two tubs to get me started, ease myself into it!!

Scott, when you first start out it is tempting to want to try everything, different powders, different bullets, different primers etc but, (and this is even more true today when it can often be difficult to maintain a consistant supply) you will find that you are better off finding one recipe that works and sticking with it if possible. The best example of this is factory ammo, God knows what powders are in it and the seating depth is always set at maximum (the two biggest variables when handloading in my opinion) but it still seems to work in nine out of ten cases. JC

Joking aside, there is a limit to how much you can legally hold at any one time; 5kg in total including primers.

That's pretty much the idea I've taken JC. I've ordered a powder type that is usable with various different bullet weights for my calibre and I've ordered just one type of bullet, a ninety grain match bullet as it is very close to the factory ammo I've been using. I plan to reload and use this one type until I'm confident enough, or have a need, to try something else.

Back