Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Never again will I.....

Never again will I.....

Undercook my venison. I followed some highly respected celebrity chef's receipe to cook some Roe venison for Sunday lunch. I thought the timings looked a little light and I made the mistake of not going with my instinct to give it a bit longer.

Luckily I served my family with the better cooked slices and they were all fine. However I had the more pink (?red) pieces and had the worst bought of food poisoning I've ever had within 2 hours of eating.

I've only just crawled out of my death bed. Obviously I have only myself to blame and I have learnt a hard lesson

Only positive point is that those trousers with the tight waistband now fit perfectly again

Sounds nasty, I remember reading one recipie for venison steak tartar; Raw minced venison steak with a raw egg in the middle!! I think I might give it a miss!!

That's a shame, but are you sure it was the venison?
    As long as it isn't contaminated you should be able to eat venison pretty much raw and suffer no ill effects.
    Where are you 'often in Suffolk' by the way?

Hi MS,

My parents live in Southwold hence I'm a massive Adnams Ales fan. Might be giving it a miss for a few days whilst I recover from this little incident though!

Sorry to hear about your food poisoning.. Are you certain it was the venison as usually there is an incubation period of 24 hours of ingesting contaminated food? Hope your well on the way to recovery! all the best, Mo

I have my doubts about the venison causing your stomach problems.
    Even though you had the "more pink" bits, i would have thought someone else would have had some sort of ill effects.
    Good to hear you are on the mend.
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

When mincing fresh vension i often have a mouthful of raw minced stuff. Tastes great and no ill effects so far!

If your certain it was the venison then there was obviously some sort of contamination in the meat, l eat my venison practicly raw especially the fillets and never had any ill effects from it.

More than likely, it's that Southwold ditch water they call ale
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Gunner, that sounds pretty nasty-- glad you're on the road to recovery! As others have said, it seems unusual for rare venison to cause problems. I've eaten it raw without ill effect--not in quantity and I didn't really enjoy it, but you have to try these things!!
    As for the 24hr period for contaminated food- not too sure about that. A couple of years ago I was driving up through Brittany, on my bike, to catch the ferry. Stopped for lunch, I had mussels with my meal. Two hours later I could hardly manage to drive. Stopped and found the necessary facilities (there are some cr-- bogs in France!!), slept for a while by the beach and managed to make Roscoff in time for ferry to Blighty. Mrs Downwind didn't think she could manage the Goldwing with me as pillion so I was happy to get home, totally drained, if you get my meaning!
    Cheers, Pete.