Never again will I.....

Gunner

Undercook my venison. I followed some highly respected celebrity chef's receipe to cook some Roe venison for Sunday lunch. I thought the timings looked a little light and I made the mistake of not going with my instinct to give it a bit longer.

Luckily I served my family with the better cooked slices and they were all fine. However I had the more pink (?red) pieces and had the worst bought of food poisoning I've ever had within 2 hours of eating.

I've only just crawled out of my death bed. Obviously I have only myself to blame and I have learnt a hard lesson :oops:

Only positive point is that those trousers with the tight waistband now fit perfectly again:lol:

Sounds nasty, I remember reading one recipie for venison steak tartar; Raw minced venison steak with a raw egg in the middle!! I think I might give it a miss!!

Dave

Hi MS,

My parents live in Southwold hence I'm a massive Adnams Ales fan. Might be giving it a miss for a few days whilst I recover from this little incident though!

Regards,

Gunner

Sorry to hear about your food poisoning.. Are you certain it was the venison as usually there is an incubation period of 24 hours of ingesting contaminated food? Hope your well on the way to recovery! all the best, Mo

I have my doubts about the venison causing your stomach problems.
Even though you had the "more pink" bits, i would have thought someone else would have had some sort of ill effects.
Good to hear you are on the mend.
basil.

If your certain it was the venison then there was obviously some sort of contamination in the meat, l eat my venison practicly raw especially the fillets and never had any ill effects from it.

Gunner, that sounds pretty nasty-- glad you're on the road to recovery! As others have said, it seems unusual for rare venison to cause problems. I've eaten it raw without ill effect--not in quantity and I didn't really enjoy it, but you have to try these things!!
As for the 24hr period for contaminated food- not too sure about that. A couple of years ago I was driving up through Brittany, on my bike, to catch the ferry. Stopped for lunch, I had mussels with my meal. Two hours later I could hardly manage to drive. Stopped and found the necessary facilities (there are some cr-- bogs in France!!), slept for a while by the beach and managed to make Roscoff in time for ferry to Blighty. Mrs Downwind didn't think she could manage the Goldwing with me as pillion so I was happy to get home, totally drained, if you get my meaning!:eek:
Cheers, Pete.

some times ill let deer hang till maggots are their, (tastes great) iv had it nearly raw (tastes great) are you sure your woman aint trying to bump you off:rofl: hope your ok all the same

Agree with the others, it's extremely unlikely it was the venison that made you ill. Two hours is far too soon for you to become ill. I always eat venison and beef fillet rare and have never been ill doing so.

I can't think of anything else that might have caused it. The animal was shot at 06.50 hours & gralloched immediately (no green contamination). I had it home by 08.30 hours. However being a beginner it did take me 3 hours to skin, butcher & get it in the fridge freezer. Do you think this length of time in room temperature was the problem?

Roe fillet, waved over a heat source for a couple of minutes then presented on a plate, perfect.

Any food poisoning I've had in the past I've traced back to something processed or cooked else where (canteen food). Food poisoning can take a while to kick in so it might have been something from earier, or as already stated contamination.

Worst food related poisoning I've had had something to do with around eight pints of Guinness and opening a bottle of Poteen, didn't remember much after that, but it took me a day or two to get over it!!:lol:

Sometimes you can be incubating a gut bug, that just happens to co-incide with a meal that may or may not lend itself to being called the culprit, more likely that you personally had an impending illness.

Our venison is always cooked pink same as our beef is always rare.Something nasty must have got into yours to give such dire results, Strange that it did not effect eveyone even though you gave everyone else the "more well cooked bits".
It is a nasty thing though, being a greedy bugger I nicked a half opened mussel from my new wifes plate whilst on honeymoon and boy was I ill. 3 days ill and on le pan. Guess who had the best tan.

I can't think of anything else that might have caused it. The animal was shot at 06.50 hours & gralloched immediately (no green contamination). I had it home by 08.30 hours. However being a beginner it did take me 3 hours to skin, butcher & get it in the fridge freezer. Do you think this length of time in room temperature was the problem?

I'm almost certain the venison will be a red herring. If it was contaminated in any way you would not have been the only one affected. Everything you did sounds ok. And again, food poisoning takes some time to set in.

Just how much Adnams did you wash it down with?
I've had several 'dodgy' kebabs which made me quite poorly after a night out and a good 10 pints of ale. It was definitely the kebab that gave me the headache and made me feel sick:rolleyes:.
MS:D

Back