Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: my new 25-06 riffle is all over the place (help)

my new 25-06 riffle is all over the place (help)

Hi every one, im hoping for some advice!
    I have just bought a new steyr pro hunter mk2 in 25-06 with a moderated with a edger brothers 8x56 scope.
    I have tried to zero it with no success, I have been using remington 120gr rounds at 100 yards, the first two rounds hit the mark but the third rounds is miles off then if I try and place a forth it must be 8 inches off.
    It seems the hotter the barrle gets the worst it gets!!!!

can anyone help please, I am fairly new to this sport so any advice however small would be great.

Thanks Martin

First off the hotter your barrel gets the wider your grouping will be, my rifles groupings head north the hotter the barrel gets.

I would check your scope rings/mounts are tight and that your stock is firmly attached to your action. Any slack in the above will create major accuracy issues.

Its quite common, as the barrel heats up the point of impact changes as long as the first shot hits the mark dont worry.

A hot barrel definately won't help, but I doubt it would be 8" off!

You say it's new, are you sure the scope and mounts are tightened properly? Did you have your scope fitted by your gunsmith?

Should of brought a Sako, new Manlichers can be problematic in my experience.

If it is new then copper fouling shouldn't be an issue. Check scope and mounts are tight. If they are ok, shoot a group with the moderator removed. I've seen a few badly fitted mods give exactly these results recently. Best to take the mod out of the equation first.

I have heard some of the manlichers have problems with flexing stocks? maybe the mod is causing the barrle to touch some part of the stock? If that isnt the porb i would go with some of the above i.e check mounts etc are tight. all the best, Mo

Im sure the rings and scope are secure as it was fitted by the gun smith!

If I leave the gun to cool down for 20 mins then try again I get the same result, I just thougt I should be able to get more than 2 rounds off before this happens?

Longer periods between shots and don`t rush anything.
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

are you touching the floating barrel? and try with the mod off