Making a Quad Bike Road Legal

oggy

Hi, looking to get a quad bike as i cant get access to all of the tracks/paths on my shoot as I only have a car at present. Cant afford to buy/insure a 4x4, so I'm thinking a quad is the next logical step.

has anyone got any experience of making a quad road legal? and roughly how much money would I be looking at just to get the thing on the road?

any advice is much appreciated

cheers

Oggy

You are entering a minefield.

Since the intoduction of these road legal toy quads the law has changed somewhat, it is now a nightmare to get a "working" quad licensed.

Getting the lighting kit is the easy part, there are alot of companies doing marque specific kits that just bolt on, farmeasy.co.uk being one of them.

If you were to buy a NEW quad it would come with something called a Certificate of Newness, this is basically a golden pass in the registering process, you can move straight to registering it as an Agricultural Vehicle meaning you are RFL and MOT exempt.

If you buy a secondhand quad it will not be a "new" vehicle so requires a test at your local VOSA centre to be eligible for registering it road legal.

Either way it is a pain in the arse.

My advice would be to buy one already done so its just a case of you applying for the V5 in your name.

There is a good looking Yamaha Grizzly on eBay at the minute.

hi oggy
if you go to www.tilton you can buy a secound hand quad that is road legal ,these bikes only have 300 miles on them
so good value .then comes the tricky bit of insurance ,i have just had a quote for a yamaha kodak 400 1996 model
i had to sit down first one for fire & theft £285 & second one for full comp £397 a two year old landy 90 is less than that.
you do not see a farm quad with number plates on it as most are not registed but still go on the road .and also it is not coved by your house insurance ,as dan said its a mine field .

+1 for the above 2 threads.

It is a total nightmare and from wot i can make out no hard or fast black and white rules jist alot off grey areas. For my bro''s new honda the dealer said lighting kit wasn't needed even thou me and my dad needed kit's? I he wasn't ripping us off as we replace the bikes every 18-22 months.

A local agri dealer said it is near impossible to get a 2nd hand one registered.

U dont say how far, wot type off roads and how busy they are. if there not to busy dinae worry, loads of farmers run them miles on theroad. we tow they about on trailers (6/8x4's) u could easy tow it to forest gates then take it off, no road miles, any car will pull them no probs

Do u really need it road legal if ur off road

if u do want it road legal either buy a 2nd hand already registered or new££

oggy,

having sold in excess of ten second hand honda quads this year i dont envey you this task.
the best way to register a road legal quad is from new with the certificate of newness you get, a honda 420 is circa £4500 £5k new.
a second hand models from £1000 to £3000, unless your actually driving long distances on the main road and at night the hassle of registering it is not worth it.
from my memory vosa don't get involved as long as you get this cert. it is registered as a farm vehicle so no road tax and you can only use on the road whilst working or to and from it.
as previously stated on other posts for full road use then you need to by one of the quadzilla type jap imports

remember it is illegal to ride a quad without the correct documentation on the public highway and i dont condone it :rofl: for the legal chaps before i get a bashing

Guys, thanks a million for the info!!

Thought it might just be a case of fitting a lighting kit then sending off a form to the DVLA and maybe an MOT, but its obviously far easier buying one thats already sorted.

my shoot is up in Scotland and I stay about 5 mins drive away. As I generally go up for a few days, it'll just be a pain taking to/from the shoot on the trailer and I can see that wearing thin quite quickly :lol:

As for the insurance, I've had a company car for the last 3 1/2 yrs, so the insurance on a quad is at least 1/3 of what i'd pay if I got a 4x4 working out at £400 p/yr

thanks again for you help!!

oggy,

if your taking it from l/pool to scotland mate may i suggest that you leave it here with someone.
sure one of us trust worthy sorts would love to look after your quad for you ha ha, no seriously its a thought.

frank

As for the insurance, I've had a company car for the last 3 1/2 yrs, so the insurance on a quad is at least 1/3 of what i'd pay if I got a 4x4 working out at £400 p/yr

As you've probably just found out, quads are one of the most nickable commodities at the moment. Outboard engines and quads - pikey magnets. :(

Oggy

Why bother being road legal.........?

Keep the car, buy a cheap off road quad, make (or buy) a trailer for the quad.

Job done.

PS If you make the trailer add a bit of space up front for the carcasses, and cover with a tarp.

Rocky

buy a cheap off road quadJob done.

Why bother being road legal.........?

quad.jpg

had mine nicked a month ago ,got one back ,but other is still awol they are a magnet for scumbags .was talking to griff the other day and the situation out in the sticks is no better .beefing up the security is a must if you are getting a quad.

TGA Breeze 4.
Road legal, 8mph. [ Taxed but with no fee to pay.] Has lighting, horn, twin wing mirrors, space for rifle at rear.
Insurance [optional] was £65.
HWH.
BUGGYCROWS001.jpg

TGA Breeze 4.
Road legal, 8mph. [ Taxed but with no fee to pay.] Has lighting, horn, twin wing mirrors, space for rifle at rear.
Insurance [optional] was £65.
HWH.
BUGGYCROWS001.jpg
A couple of questions Stag, does it pull a trailor and does it come in cammo green? :p
basil.

hi,

i have installed infra red CCTV and alarms on some farms with bikes and it certainly helps.
my main dealer though has sold quad locks and tyre locks which didnt stop them, they either cut them or take the whole thing.

frank

if you have had a company car, a lot of insurance companies will give you credit on reciept of a letter from you company.

I have built several kit cars and put them through the Vosa test (same basic principle as registering a quad for the road) and it is a real pain in the ass.

An other option is buying a real scrapper (esp if u can do a bit of mechanical work) and jist leave it in the woods hidden, i had a spare bike a left it in the woods up the shoot for 3 or 4 months at a time, was very handy as could take a trailer of feed up and didn't have to double handle it to go and fetch the quad. i jist hid it under a tarp wi a bit of brash on top of it. i moved it every so often and tried not to obivsily track the area into it.

Possibly u could park it in the wood 100or so yards of the track and down a steep bit out off sight,chances of some one finding it will be small and either take the battery with u or hide it nearby. if they push it up the hill fair play to them esp if a right scrapper not worth the effort.

Another thing some forestry companies might not like u driving a quad unles u've got a ticket and training for it (FC do. unsurprisingly)

drop me a line if you want a relatively cheap quad.
i have stopped actively selling bikes but will source from the dealer a good rate for you.

frank

drop me a line if you want a relatively cheap quad.
i have stopped actively selling bikes but will source from the dealer a good rate for you.

frank

Cheers Frank!! Might just do that!

Will be middle of Nov though before I start looking seriouls as I'm going in to have an operation on my knee at the start of Sept

Cheers

Oggy

Back