Equipment opinions for a new Stalker

oilmanjd

Hi guys,

As some of you know I have recently passed my DSC level 1 and applied for my FAC.
I have decided to go for the following rifle and options but would like some feedback on the scope.

Tikka T3 22-250 stainless steel, synthetic stock (roe deer rifle)
Harris Bipod (swivel)
Niggeloh sling
AU Jet Z moderator
Optilock rings and bases

Now this is the bit I am stuck on.....the scope!
I have had advice that a fixed scope 8 X 56 would be ideal for me to stalk with/foxing etc. I have also heard that a variable scope would also be good.

Based on the first piece of advice, I had initially decided to get the Schmidt and Bender 8X56 scope but now I am not sure, variable scope or fixed!!!
Anyone got any ideas or preferences of what they use or would be suitable for me?
I am not sure what to get and I am getting worse the more I think about it :doh:

Look forward to your replies guys.

I swapped my variable scope for a Schmidt and Bender 8X56 hungarian scope and im really glad I did.
Glass quality is excellent and I no longer fiddle with the magnification constantly.

I will possibly take some flak for this but I would suggest getting a variable power scope with a high mag on it, in the 14-20 range. If you are going to be foxing with it you will appreciate the higher mag. To start off with you could set the scope on 6x or 8x mag until you get use to your new rifle then as your experience and skill level develops you may want to be shooting at slightly longer ranges, this is where the higher mag will come in. Try and buy the best scope you can afford, look in classifieds on here and on eBay. R. Macleods of Tain usually have a good stock of ex demo or decent second hand scopes in stock. (I have no connection with Macleods)

Your choice of calibre is going to limit your stalking...............

Agree completely. If this is your only CF rifle currently, I would absolutely get at least a 243, that way you are legal for all UK deer. 243 is also a damn good fox calibre.

Ref scope, if you can find a Swaro PF 8x50 I would go with this before any others. Otherwise a S&B in 7x50 or 8x56 would be an excellent choice. Check out Gregor MacLeod's SH/demo listings.

I would not over do it on the scope front. If the cash is available for a variable, then Gregor has good deals on Swaro 2.5-10x42 or a 3-12x50. I would go no bigger than that. I would rather have a fixed Swaro than a variable from a lesser make if cash is limited.

Last edited:
Cheers guys. With regards to this being my only centrefire rifle, it wont be, later addition is to be a 0.308 so not worried about the limitations of the 22-250 although I understand where you guys are coming from.

Keep your thoughts on the scope coming if anyone else has any opinions.
Thanks.

I have a Swaro 1.5-6x42, which is very good and a Swaro 8x50 which I use the most, good for gathering light, but you will notgo far wrong with most of the top scopes and get the best you can afford.

22-250 ideally should be a variable to at least 12 mag since I would expect some vermin control/foxing to be included at some point but if not a fixed power is fine. I say Bushnell mid range options up to top end Elite 6500 because now made in Japan the Bushy will **** all over everything in the same price range.

Yeh, go Bushnell

243 with a S&B 8x56. Simples

I am on my 3rd variable scope, you will end up leaving it at one magnification and never touch it again.

[/QUOTE]why limit yourself to only being allowed to stalk on one side of the border from the off?[/QUOTE]

Labrat, I will be sorting out a 0.308 at a later date as also have that on my FAC app. This will be for the Reds/Sika etc later on.

22-250 scope

hi first of all you will love the 22-250 cracking little round perfect for fox and roe north of the border i would advise a vari mag scope for this as no dought you will use it for long range vermin control i started witha leoupold 6.5 x 25 x50 it was a nice scope got on well with it i now have a nightforce sat on it as most of my stalking is done with a 25-06 and a s+b 8x56 but also the later will do just as well
bruxie

reading this thread reminded me of something i thought to myself the other day..

"i really wish i had only one rifle"

advice on the scope - an 8x56 is all you need, although sometimes a little extra mag might help.

i run a .243 for foxing and a .308 for deer, both wear 8 x 56's. (although the other night i did reach into the back of the truck for the 22-250 and the nightforce on 22x to get a closer look at a buck, didnt shoot him, he weren't ready. could have shot him with the 8x but using the 22x scope saved me a stalk for nothing!)

if i were to start setting myself up againg from scratch, i would probably get a variable swarovski up to 16 or 18x, and sit it on a 25-06. as they say, beware the man with one gun!

Docter or SB, both 8 x 56. Nothing to fiddle with and both just great scopes at a good value for money price.

SB on the .243 and Docter on the .270

Rocky

OILMANJD said:
Labrat, I will be sorting out a 0.308 at a later date as also have that on my FAC app. This will be for the Reds/Sika etc later on.

Hi

Calibre choice is yours and yours alone. You're paying for it after all!!!

But.... You never know where your hobby will take you. You've chosena good rifle and scope, I started with a T3 and a S&B 8 X 56 30 mil scope with optilocks and moderator, It's a great starter set up for stalking. The thing is, one day you may be on Roe ground where you have permission to shoot deer and a red may stray in front of you. You don't know where you'll end up stakig ina years time, let alone in 5 or 10 years time. So a .243 MAY give you flexability you don't yet realise you need. Plod is likely to grant both.

I agree with the other guys who have probably come across the situations I mention, and would really try and convince you to go for a .243 instead. The police will add fox to a .243 without issue.

Remember, opportunities may arise where the ground is not cleared for .30 calibre but the feds will allow the .243 and I'm guessing you won't have an open ticket.

Your choice though.

All the best.
MJ

Last edited:
I'll follow suit and say .243 would be better than .22-250. They're very similar rounds but the .243 is legal for larger species. Wouldn't you just kick yourself if you were out for Roe/Fox and a nice Red appeared, perhaps one you'd been after for some time, and you had to let it go for the sake of .019" of bullet diameter?!

The .243 can be made to shoot very similar to the .22-250 so why limit yourself?

Hi, what budget do have for your scope?

I got the Swarovski PF8x56 and its jeffin ace!!! not the cheapest, but I'm a firm beliver in "you get what you pay for"

Good luck!!

Oggy

I'll follow suit and say .243 would be better than .22-250. They're very similar rounds but the .243 is legal for larger species. Wouldn't you just kick yourself if you were out for Roe/Fox and a nice Red appeared, perhaps one you'd been after for some time, and you had to let it go for the sake of .019" of bullet diameter?!

The .243 can be made to shoot very similar to the .22-250 so why limit yourself?

Got to agree...Even when you have a .308win, there might be a time when its "down" ie not zeroed, no ammo to hand or just playing up so it makes sense to have a second rifle that gives you some "overlap"

I stand by my post but am surprised no one has said, "bin the two and just get a 65 x 55" yet...............

Back