Combined Technology Bullets

Monkey Spanker

I've been using the Combined Technology (CT) Ballistic Silvertip bullets for the past few weeks and i have to say I'm very impressed with the results so far.
I've been launching 115 grainers out of the 25.06 using 50 grains IMR 4831.
They are incredibly accurate!
The results on the deer have been good too. I was previously using 100 grain Nostler BT's and the meat damage was very severe for body shots.
The CT's seem to hold together much better with considerably less meat damage, but still good knockdown. The science behind them makes good sense and the results appear to reinforce their claims. I've only shot about a dozen animals with them so far but I have to say they are bloody good!
Have a look here:
http://www.nosler.com/Bullets/Combined-Technology.aspx
Here's some more info:
"1. Streamlined polycarbonate tip–resists deformation in magazine, provides a streamlined meplat for flat trajectory, initiates positive expansion on impact with light and medium game. 2. Thin jacket mouth–opens easily and peels uniformly rearward providing dependable long range, low velocity expansion. 3. Long ogive–specially engineered, streamlined portion of bullet in front of bearing surface minimizes wind drift and flattens trajectories. 4. Core cavity–allows polycarbonate tip to generate momentum before contact with lead core, allows dependable bullet expansion at lowest practical velocity levels and moves bullet center of gravity rearward for better accuracy. 5. Form fitted core–provides tremendous bullet accuracy by virtue of uniformity and concentricity, special lead alloys are engineered to provide uniform expansion in hunting bullets, virtual explosion in varmint bullets. 6. Lubalox® exterior coating–reduces fouling, pressure and friction between bullet and bore, providing longer barrel life, easier cleaning and enhanced accuracy. 7. Tapered jacket–allows bullet to be driven at high velocity while maintaining integrity; controls expansion in game bullets. 8. Solid Base® Boattail design–boattail base reduces drag to maximize long range ballistic performance while providing a platform for a large diameter mushroom; allows maximum accuracy at high velocity levels by preventing base deformation in high intensity cartridges. "
I'll certainly be buying some more!
MS:)

Last edited:
MS,

I think you find they are identical to Ballistic Tips but just a different colour.

Kind regards,

Tim

Tim.
On the Nostler website they do look identical in construction but they seem to perform differently. The only other answer is bullet weight. I previously used 100 grain but the CT's are only available in 115 in .257. However, although it is travelling marginally slower, I don't believe it would account for the reduction in damage I've seen so far.
I have a box of normal Nostler BT's in 115 grain somewhere so i might try them just as a comparison. They are much cheaper too so it will be good if it is just the extra weight that is making all the difference!:p

Tim.
On the Nostler website they do look identical in construction but they seem to perform differently. The only other answer is bullet weight. I previously used 100 grain but the CT's are only available in 115 in .257. However, although it is travelling marginally slower, I don't believe it would account for the reduction in damage I've seen so far.
I have a box of normal Nostler BT's in 115 grain somewhere so i might try them just as a comparison. They are much cheaper too so it will be good if it is just the extra weight that is making all the difference!:p
Hi MS i have tryed them like you & they are awsome & like you you i found the 100g bt which is still a hunting nosler for deer & not a varmint like the 85g in this calibre to be very accurate but big holes with 100g. I put my loads up on a topic asking for 25/06 loads & i couldent get on aswell with the 115g compared to what i could get the CT to shoot like ie .500"-.750" groups

MS I have for years, still do shoot and reload a .25-06, "WHY" Polymer Tips mate??????? I only use those for Fox etc. Have you tried 117 Hornady sp cheap very accurate (in my rifle) and does not do loads of Damage. Also it you dont mind me asking what species of Deer do you normaly stalk. As i am sure you have found match the wrong bullet with the wrong species with a .25 and you have a Big mess

Last edited:
MS,

I was going to add to my post above that since I'm pretty sure the CT bullets and Ballistic Tip bullets are identical you may as well shoot whichever is the cheapest. That is if you can call Ballistic Tips cheap! I'm firmly entrenched in using Hornady and Sierra these days. They may not look as pretty but they provide far better value and with correct load developemnt there's no reason why they won't provide good accuracy.

Good luck,

Tim

If I was just shooting Roe then maybe I would look at SP's. My main stalking area has 5 species on it, including lowland reds, so I need something with a good knockdown capability which can cover all options. The only species missing is Sika, but I do shoot them a couple of times a year elsewhere. This is why the 25.06 is perfect for my needs. For instance, I was out yesterday looking for young red stags and ended up with 2 Muntjac bucks and 3 Roe Bucks. It's a lottery!
I also shoot in a couple of very sensitive areas such as a nature reserve next to a town & school which is riddled with footpaths. The public still have access whilst I'm shooting (although thoroughly warned at every entrance by signs!) so I have constant concerns with safety. I therefore like to use a frangible bullet such as the BT so that I know there is minimal risk of riccochets. I also shoot next to some major roads and often have to ensure animals do not run. A carefully placed BT is a good bullet for that!
I have tried other bullets including partitions but don't find them to be as accurate. I'm not happy unless I have complete confidence in my equipment. I know that not everyone likes Polymer Tips, but they suit my needs perfectly.

MS Respect your oppion, mate. You are right Parttion's can be a right pain in the butt to get to shoot. was try ing to help, It is good to hear and see others oppions an thoughts. I too shot some very very "BIG" Red's (wild) Females grollaching 220lb's + no not a miss print. I do use Partiton for "ALL" my Deer Munties up to Red's. If i am culling in a sensitive areas and dont want my Deer to Run, i high shoulder shoot or if very close base of the neck. Again i agree "confidence" is a Big factor. Thanks for sharing your oppions. Would not swap my 25 for nothing

tim1 is right, they are a nosler ballistic tip with a, i think, winchester moly coat on them. That is where the combined technoligy name comes from.

Back