Minimum Calibre

Indeed , good bullets and penetration are important. For continental use my choice would always be a Browning BAR in 300 win mag with a good strong 180/200/220 grain bullet. Excellent for pigs of any size in every possible condition. Bad light, driven ,high seat, crop protection, etc......

Here in Denmark the minimum requirement for wild boar is a bullet weight of at least 9g (139 grains) having at least 2700 joules of energy at 100 metres, or a bullet weight of at least 10g (154 grains) and 2000 joules at 100 metres. Examples of suitable calibres in the guidelines are 6.5x55, .308, and .30-06, as well as larger and more powerful calibres.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I am gathering here there is no official, legally binding, minimum calibre for boar in the UK.

Which begs the question, who has the final say in what calibre(s) can or cannot be used?!

Generally speaking, Firearms Licensing will control it via a condition allowing WB on your FAC - and they will usually adhere to the arbitarily 'recommended' minimum of .270 as per the Home Office Guidance.

Some may be lucky enough to have the 'any other lawful quarry' condition, which could be taken to include boar, (not tested through the courts yet though AFAIK), and/or might have a truly 'open' FAC which means they can make the decision on what calibre is reasonable or legal to use on any quarry species - a far more sensible way of doing things IMHO.

Last edited:
If 6.5 was good enough for Mr Bell and his Elephants then its good enough for boar.A quality bullet and good placement must be the two most important things.i used that argument with flo when I got them on my last variation.most of the time its not the equipment its the clot behind the stock.:stir:

Just to stir the pot a bit... if your area choses to allow boar to be shot under the general condition for estate/wildlilife management then while the guidance recommends .270, a lesser calibre would be fine since there is no written law on this.

Just to stir the pot a bit... if your area choses to allow boar to be shot under the general condition for estate/wildlilife management then while the guidance recommends .270, a lesser calibre would be fine since there is no written law on this.

Maybe you might add the proviso that the 'estate/wildlife management' condition must include the use of the firearm, and not just be the 'universal' condition that was cobbled together for the possession and use of expanding ammo/missiles that the majority have on their FAC. ;)

Here in Denmark the minimum requirement for wild boar is a bullet weight of at least 9g (139 grains) having at least 2700 joules of energy at 100 metres, or a bullet weight of at least 10g (154 grains) and 2000 joules at 100 metres. Examples of suitable calibres in the guidelines are 6.5x55, .308, and .30-06, as well as larger and more powerful calibres.

In most parts of Northern Europe, it's by energy (actually just like here) . The minimum energy of the bullet at 100 metres should be 2,100 Joules]. Calibre is not stated. It happens that the 6.5 is OK but only certain bullet weights will comply. All calibres from 7mm and above are OK. Why the UK authorities appear to ignore what happens in other countries where they have had a longer tradition & knowledge about shooting wild boar than us, beats me.
We are, after all, in the EU

Why the UK authorities appear to ignore what happens in other countries where they have had a longer tradition & knowledge about shooting wild boar than us, beats me.
We are, after all, in the EU

Have a look at the recommendations in the Wild Boar Best Practice Guides and you might be even more bemused. :D

http://www.wild-boar.org.uk/pdf/WildBoar_shooting.pdf

"When using shot cartridges the shotgun should preferably be fully choked, using full loads of AAA or SSG shot. Smaller or larger shot are not recommended". :eek:

If 6.5 was good enough for Mr Bell and his Elephants then its good enough for boar.A quality bullet and good placement must be the two most important things.i used that argument with flo when I got them on my last variation.most of the time its not the equipment its the clot behind the stock.:stir:
So you can reliably sneak to within 20 paces of a boar and hit it in the brain?

So would a .308 loaded with 180gr be adequate?
By adequate I don't mean "might get away with it", I mean confidently able to drop the pig if connected properly.

Can anyone tell me the minimum calbre for wild boar in the UK. Ive seen on here .270 , .308 30-06 etc. Ive also read 6.5 x 55, which is my reason for asking as I home load 6.5 and have read many articles stating that when used with the correct bullet weight and powders it can have a performance approaching 30-06 levels...probabley the lower end of 30-06? So if thats the case would the upper end of 6.5 be a better choice than a lower end of .270?

Can anyone clear this one up for me please?

Cheers

pete

The above video shows quite clearly that shot placement is everything.

We all know that the firearms rules across the UK are totally irrational and inconsistent from one county to the next. I certainly wouldn't ever advocate shooting a boar with such a small calibre as a .17HMR, but as others on here have said in other countries smaller calibres are legal and very effective if the bullet is placed on the right spot. Countries like USA, Canada and Africa do a lot more big game hunting than we in the UK will ever do. I think we need to listen to what they have to say.

IMHO we need to spend less time worrying about calibre and more time worrying about hitting the right spot.

Last edited:

The above video shows quite clearly that shot placement is everything.

We all know that the firearms rules across the UK are totally irrational and inconsistent from one county to the next. I certainly wouldn't ever advocate shooting a boar with such a small calibre as a .17HMR, but as others on here have said in other countries smaller calibres are legal and very effective if the bullet is placed on the right spot. Countries like USA, Canada and Africa do a lot more big game hunting than we in the UK will ever do. I think we need to listen to what they have to say.

IMHO we need to spend less time worrying about calibre and more time worrying about hitting the right spot.

Good point about shot placement, but the shooter is complete nitwit to have tried it!

Back