First Roe Buck

Hunting Solutions

It gave me great pleasure on Monday evening to get my 14 year old lad onto his first roe buck. Here is Connor with his prize, I think I was ten times more excited than he was! :lol:

iphone 155.jpg

PS...the rifle was double and triple checked as unloaded prior to the photo! :rolleyes:

Deako,Connor,
Well done to both of you, fantastic to be there for Connors first buck and looks like a well placed shot,
good memories for both

smithy

Thanks smithy,

He's been stalking with me numerous times over the last few years, but would never take a shot as he wanted to be 100% confident of a clean kill. On Monday the perfect broadside shot presented itself and away he went!

Deako,

My lad is 14 in a few weeks how much hasle did you have getting him his FAC or was it an easy and painless process?

You must be very proud i also like that he didn't want to take a shot until he was sure of a clean kill, it shows real responsibility and respect to the buck.

George

deako,

well done for that mate and well done to connor.
make sure he doesnt get the stalking bug or he will take all yours of you.

well done lads, opps i should say, men, now that he has his first under his belt.

f.

Sweep,

He has not yet got his own FAC. Local FEO told me to take him out stalking (with the landowners consent) to see if he had the right level of maturity towards the sport, then to apply should he wish to pursue a stalking career. It was intimated though that the proceedure should be pretty straightforward.

I dont now how well you get on with yoru feo but watch your back as it is illegal for anyone under 17 to use a rifle for hunting or stalking unles they have there own fac

p.s.

well done Connor

Last edited:
I dont now how well you get on with yoru feo but watch your back as it is illegal for anyone under 17 to use a rifle for hunting or stalking unles they have there own fac

p.s.

well done Connor

Not so.

Firearms Act 1968

Section 11(1)A person carrying a firearm or ammunition belonging to another person holding a certificate under this Act may, without himself holding such a certificate, have in his possession that firearm or ammunition under instructions from, and for the use of, that other person for sporting purposes only.

Thanks Sweep/David, I'll try to get hold of the FEO this week for clarification.

Until then, Connor didn't shoot that buck, it was me! ;)

Deako,

Congratulations to connor. Shot placement is spot on from the pic. Good to hear a youngster having such high respect for his quary!!

What caliber is the rifle out of interest as my younger brother (13) keeps asking to have a go with my .243?

Well done again!

Rob

Last edited:
Thanks Rob, calibre is .243", using Norma 100g soft points. He is a naturally good rifle shot, but has had very little practice with the .243", though I have always taught him the importance of correct breathing technique and trigger release. I was delighted in his shot placement, shooting off a set of quad sticks.

a 14 year old owner/tenant,ect with a fac can lend a rifle to a 18+. rifle cannot be loaned to under 18s by anyone!! 14+ can carry your rifle for you only for your sporting purpose's,and they may not to use it! me thinks he should apply for his own he deserves it!!!! well done:thumb:

Well done...you must both be sooo proud....oh and you dont need to explain about the gun being safe...photos dont kill ....loaded guns do....if you know if was safe at the time....job done!

Well done to the boy :tiphat:

I shot my first buck at 7 years old :lol:

Unmodded Parker Hale .270. My old fella had his hands on top of the scope to take some of the kick of it :lol:

Good on you Connor.
I know I'd be proud of you (and my son Dan a bit envious). I have a mate in NZ whose son Dirk is 11 has his own .270 for wild pig shooting, he does a lot of it.... I think the rules are a bit more relaxed there

Back