Ideal bullet for Muntjac

C

Carl Gustaf

Fellow stalkers,
Can you advise me on what you would consider the perfect bullet for Muntjac. Presently I am using a 120 grain BT in my 6.5x55 for Roe and Monty Munty.
I would like to know if I can improve on this round. All shoots are within 60 metres, neck shots and I would prefer a little less meat damage. Although this is only secondary to a quick clean kill.
Thank you in advance for your help in this matter.

Carl Gustaf said:
Fellow stalkers,
Can you advise me on what you would consider the perfect bullet for Muntjac. Presently I am using a 120 grain BT in my 6.5x55 for Roe and Monty Munty.
I would like to know if I can improve on this round. All shoots are within 60 metres, neck shots and I would prefer a little less meat damage. Although this is only secondary to a quick clean kill.
Thank you in advance for your help in this matter.

Stop shooting Ballistic Tips for a start. The 160grRN makes a fine close quarter dense undergrowth deer killing round.

Any legal round will do as long as the bullet is in the right place and the deer is dead. Otherwise I fear we may have another round of ballistic Bull S---- about which round does what where and when, and my gun is better than yours?

malcolm said:
Any legal round will do as long as the bullet is in the right place and the deer is dead. Otherwise I fear we may have another round of ballistic Bull S---- about which round does what where and when, and my gun is better than yours?

Malc

You have to agree that some calibre-bullet weights and designs just do the job better.

You could if you so wanted kill a big English woodland red stag with a .22 rf. But a .308 or 30-06 does a far better job of it.

Yeah, a 375HH 300 Grain federal solid that will stop it.

Sorry cant resist joining in the bull S---T about different calibres. We all know that a 243 100g nosler will kill a Munty, even a 222 will do it. But hit it with any calibre too far back and it will run off.

malcolm said:
Yeah, a 375HH 300 Grain federal solid that will stop it.

Sorry cant resist joining in the bull S---T about different calibres. We all know that a 243 100g nosler will kill a Munty, even a 222 will do it. But hit it with any calibre too far back and it will run off.

Now you're just being obtuse! :lol:

bullrt choice.

I would suggest a soft point bullet of 140 odd grains. It doesn't have to be pointed, a round nose will do the job as well as anything.

swampy

How about a 600 then? or maybe a 700, that shoudl floor it?

Obtuse Hmmm, maybe, but probably not as you do not really know me.

malcolm said:
How about a 600 then? or maybe a 700, that shoudl floor it?

Obtuse Hmmm, maybe, but probably not as you do not really know me.

Malc

What's to know?

We could always go for fatuous, if you don't like obtuse. :lol:

It would appear as if others don't hold to your view on the inappropriateness of this particular topic.

Thank you all, I think I will stick to the 120gr. I just thought that with the wealth of experience on this site, someone may have had a better idea.

bullets

CG,
some good suggestions have been made. If you stick with a heavy soft point you will knock them dead. you will get less meat damage than the BT.

swampy

Steve

I guess some people don't recognise when they are getting good advice.

Bradley

Sorry Swampy, Sometimes its difficult to know when you are having the Micheal extracted out of you or getting sound advice. I will go with your suggestion, your posts are always helpful, thank you.

I guess I'm developing a siege mentallity. Shame really I can't think why!

The land owner wants me to use 90 grain bullets on his beast, I think its because of health and safey issues. I just want to do right by him and the Munties.

Malcolm you should write a book, your experiences with deer and big game are fascinating. Put me down for a first edition!

I may be bit old fashioned, but I always use good quality soft points in the 30-06 (180grns) always worked ok for me.
Use 520 softs in the 458 ad they work ok too.

I will try the soft nose, but I had a nasty experience with a 156 lapua soft nosed that tore through a Roebuck at 80 yards. The poor fellow was pole axed and when I recovered the carcass, the heart lay (intact) amongst a number of rib fragments a metre away from the deer. The exit wound was massive! I have hands like a JCB grab buckets, but the hole was much larger incomparsion. To be frank it shook me up a bit! Could it have been a bad batch? I didn't use the rest, I shot them down the range.

Carl Gustaf said:
The land owner wants me to use 90 grain bullets on his beast, I think its because of health and safey issues. .

LOL

What might these H+S issue be?

john.d.m said:
I may be bit old fashioned, but I always use good quality soft points in the 30-06 (180grns) always worked ok for me.
Use 520 softs in the 458 ad they work ok too.

I have a good friend that uses a 9.3 to good effect.

I have been considering a 444 Marlin. Just need to convince my FAO.

Proximity to public foot paths and respect for the welfare of other land users.

Carl Gustaf said:
Proximity to public foot paths and respect for the welfare of other land users.

The perceived H+S benefits in the use of a 90gr head against a 140 or 160 would be what?

At the end of the day I would like to put different bullets weights through the same rifle to cope with any situation or size of deer. By knowing how these bullets react at different ranges and having that information at hand whilst out stalking. I may have this wrong, but I'm asking the question.
1. Muntjac close range 30 to 60 metres, straight kill/ humane despatch, very little meat damage. Small wooded areas, public access.
2. Roe deer 50 to 200 metre range, straight kill/ humane despatch, very little meat damage. Large forestry blocks no public access.
3. Red Deer 50 to 200 metre range, straight kill/ humane despatch, very little meat damage. Private deer park or open moorland.
So what is the answer? one type of bullet or 3 different bullets?

Back