Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gutted!

Got a letter in the post today from a company I do some stalking for saying that they are changing some of their rules with regards to stalking on their land.

Previously their minimum calibre was a .243 which is no problem as I have one however they have decided that rather than have this minimum calibre, there is to be a minimum on bullet weight instead, which unfortunately for me is higher than the .243 can put out.

Currently there are only roe on the land however sika are moving into the area and I think this may be their reasoning behind the change. I can see where they are coming from and understand totally and to be honest I cant complain as the stalking costs me nothing.

The reason I am so gutted is, I bought my ideal rifle earlier in the year and after a few months have finally found what appears to be the best bullet match for it, got a brand new moderator to suit it and over the past few weeks have finally got it shooting tight home load groups.

Got space for a 6.5x55 on my ticket which will comply so looks like im going to have to buy a new rifle and go through it all again, cant work out if thats a bad thing or a good thing

Account Suspended
    Milton Keynes
    Definately a good thing.
    Done away with my .243 years back in favour of a 6.5x55, never regretted it once

What's the conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    What's the conditions?
    Minimum bullet weight to be 120gr.

Excellent for the 6.5x55 on my ticket but not a goer for the t3

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Nairn, Inverness-shire
    Mimimum for Sika is 100gr.....Why won't your .243 deliver that? What minimun weight have the stipulated? I'd ask why they have chosen to go above what the Law States for that species......

I'd also queery if you are there with your .243 then you would only shoot Roe, should a Sika be seen then deal with that as and when it's required with a larger caliber/cartridge. If there are none on the land at present than why concern yourself with it now?

I could understand if there were only .22 CF Deer on the ground and you were using a .22 CF, and larger species were moving in on the ground. To prevent the oppertunist taking an illegal shot, but if you are using current legal equiment, then what's the problem?

The weight question has been answered while typing....
    Last edited by tartinjock; 07-08-2010 at 14:52. Reason: Weight Question answered....
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Shooting is around plantations and sika have been seen on the one next door and a pad found on the land where I shoot so they are definitely in the area and moving about.

At the end of the day it's there call so I have to go along with it, as with all land owners they have the ability to specify what they want used on their land.

I`m no expert on bullets but for example, how would they tell if you were using 100 or 120 grainers if you normally shoot say, Federals?
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

I know where you're coming from. I had a sweet CZ i used on Roe but they raised the minimum calibre and have since moved up to a 25-06. I still miss the CZ.

Just use 100 grainers, which work perfectly well, and if asked, say they're 120g homeloads!

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    Just use 100 grainers, which work perfectly well, and if asked, say they're 120g homeloads!
    this is not aimed at pkl,

i would not follow that statement mate.
    yes who would know but, if and be it a big if, you had an issue where by you had an investigation of any kind and where found to be outwith your contracted ammo size i would suspect your fac may be lost....

is it worth it....

you have the slot for the 65/55 so i would advise thats the best option mate.

unfortunatly they make the rule, you have to follow. this is regardless of whats legal...