Brno/CZ or Parker Hale

Moonraker68

I'm considering buying a second rifle for £300-£500, and have narrowed the choice down to the above. Had a look at a new CZ550 Lux at the Game Fair, which looked good value at (I think) less than £600, but have never had the chance to use one. There are also a couple of PH's on Guntrader described as "sleepers", which are around the £300 mark, plus a few Brno 600's for similar money. Any comments would be appreciated.

There's a guy called Chris who advertises under the name C&Shoot in Guntrader. He's in Kent and has a thing for Parker Hales and BSAs. Look him up and he'll find you a very good one for little money. Tell him Marc in Scotland recommended him to you and he'll likely wave the postage fee or thread it for a mod for you.

Just be a bit careful of the "sleepers" they can be a bit like 1 careful lady owner . I'm sure there are some genuine good uns to be had my old PH was a sleeper ....apparently , railway sleeper more like ,the action was ok as was the bore , but they had messed around trying to free float the barrel using a hand held shark by the look of the woodwork ,and then attempted to bed the action when that didn't work .
Have a look at it if you are not familiar with the dealer , there are lots around . My money would go on the cz. Brough.

Just edited to say Kev(Brithunter) Helped me enormously with a mine of info regarding the PH.
If you need to know anything regarding these rifles then he's your man. Brough

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies. I'm not too set on any one calibre, but would prefer either a 6.5x55 or 7x57, or possibly a .308.

Thanks for your replies. I'm not too set on any one calibre, but would prefer either a 6.5x55 or 7x57, or possibly a .308.
good taste on the first two, and the rifle... It really depresses me the way mauser actions and their clones are out of fashion now, I think they have so much more appeal than all the fancy push feeds.

BTW, how would you tell the difference between an FN actioned PH and a Santa Barbara one? And does that Chris in Kent ever have CRF BSAs coming through?

i have a couple of cz 601s. they have been very good, never let me down and accounted for lots of deer and fox. Remember that if you get one you need to factor in screw cutting which can add a bit to price. Both mine came s/h with mounts that reduces costs a bit. never used ph so cant comment on these.

good taste on the first two, and the rifle... It really depresses me the way mauser actions and their clones are out of fashion now, I think they have so much more appeal than all the fancy push feeds.

BTW, how would you tell the difference between an FN actioned PH and a Santa Barbara one? And does that Chris in Kent ever have CRF BSAs coming through?

On three of mine with the stock removed you can just make out "SPAIN" stamped on the side of the rear tang. P-H also used some genuine Mauser actions and some specially made for them by Bruno. I believe the early ones the early Safaris were built on German actions. The very late ones seem to be Spanish Santa Barbara. But with P-H nothing seems set in stone.

Just edited to say Kev(Brithunter) Helped me enormously with a mine of info regarding the PH.
If you need to know anything regarding these rifles then he's your man. Brough

I've exchanged a few pm's with Brithunter, and his knowledge of Parker Hales and their ilk is amazing. I will definitely be seeking his views if I find a PH.

I've arranged to have a look at a BRNO .270, which is 20 years old but has only had 18 rounds through it. I've not shot an un-modded .270 for a few years; should be interesting to see how the recoil compares to a 6.5x55! My last experience was with Norma 150 gn's, so I'm hoping something lighter will be a bit easier on the shoulder.

hi moonraker i can give you a link to a guy i baught my parker and hale off he has a few in and sources others as well very nice to deal with and genuine all the best,wayne

Wayne, that would be appreciated. I know that none of the makes mentioned are popular at present, but you seem to be able to get a lot of rifle for the money.

Thanks, the ph .270 looks good value as well. I will give them a call tomorrow. How do you find the recoil with your ph?

hi mate this is my first centre fire and 270 to boot and heard all sorts about how hard they bite but to be honest i love it im medium build and my first shot was wincing as i was expecting the worst and to my supprise its fine i have a mod on now but for my hearing as i cannot wear plugs or defenders so went down that route i think that because of the build of the stock ie nice walnut the recoil is soaked up somewhat unlike a synthetic stock ,my own opinion but others might be able to shed more light on that one. going back to the rifles i think clive sources nice rifles which are affordable and in very good condition i am very impressed by ph but again i have nothing to compare to as i have only ever used a sako 6.5x55 let me know how you get on ,wayne

wow, the Dickson 270 looks a real beauty. That'd easily by my choice there, and above most others! Can anyone tell what 98 action that is?

I personally would look at PH, BUT only after borescoping the barrel....

Some of the PH's on dealers shelves are lovely to look at on the exterior, but a glance at the bore reveals pitting, throat erosion and wear.

Whilst I accept they are lovely rifles, caveat emptor!

Back